SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
Default Timing Chain ? 2.2

2006 2.2 , 120,000 I was ready to change the set, took off valve cover and upper chain guide. I saw no wear at all, has always had oil changed regularly, synthetic oil etc. car runs fine, I really don't want to tear in to it, and find the other guide not really worn either, also the chain has no play, slack. So trying to talk her out of wasting my time her money at this time. feedback?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Timing Chain ? 2.2

On a 2006, probably the only thing I'd consider (since you have the valve cover off) would be the tensioner.. If you have the latest version, put it back together and drive another 100k..

If you have one of the older versions, replace it, then drive another 100k miles..

Heres a link that you can see the differences. You can feel the top of the tensioner to see if it has the little bulge, version 3, or no bulge, version 1 or 2...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

Your 2006 should have the new oiler, . That was the major problem with early models..

WARNING - DO NOT activate the new tensioner by starting the engine,.. In most cases, this works, but in a few cases, the chain will jump timing and then the engine is trashed..

when you replace the tensioner, use a couple plastic wire ties to tie the chain to the cam sprockets..

Then remove the old tensioner, very carefully to not drop the parts down inside..

Install the new tensioner, then activate it. After its activated,. remove the wire ties.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote