SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1
Default What Does Factory Exhaust System Look Like?

On my 95 SL2 I was under the car to replace a coolant hose, and it appears to me that the exhaust system may not be OEM, and in CA if you change the exhaust system you fail inspection. I did not take a deep look but what caught my eye was a random screw that appears to do nothing there in the exhaust line. So my question is, what does the factory exhaust system look like for my Saturn? Also, is there for any reason a screw that appears to do nothing? It is in the section of pipe that starts to go under the body of car from the engine compartment.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: What Does Factory Exhaust System Look Like?

My system is original. There are some incidental pictures in my thread, but not before page 7.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=7

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Post a picture of that screw. If it isn't OEM, maybe we can think of a plausible explanation for it. My understanding is nothing other than the cat has to be OEM/CARB-exempted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

I will post a photo tomorrow, but for now I took a second look and it appears everything is where it should be. That is good news, but there is bad news. Looks like there may be some exhaust leaks because the connection points look very rust and very rugged, so not sure if there is a full seal. The CAT I know for sure is not original so I will be looking for the ID number when I go under car, also it is welded to the front pipe, so if I need a new CAT I need a new front pipe.

How would I check for leaks in the exhaust system?

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You should not replace the front pipe. A sawzall will remove the cat if required so a proper replacement can be welded into place.

Leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You should not replace the front pipe. A sawzall will remove the cat if required so a proper replacement can be welded into place.

Leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.
I only have ONE device that may be able to do job, but I need confirmation if it would work then I can modify it to attach to tailpipe. It is a AC ball-bearing fan, please let me know if it would work...

Air Flow: 293.0 CFM (8.20m/min)
Static Pressure: 0.900 in H2O (224.2 Pa)

It has been sealed in a wood frame so should not be hard to attach a way to connect to tail pipe, would be thrilled to put it to use again after being boxed for over a year.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That will work and you do not need a tight connection at the tail pipe as a couple inches of water pressure will show the leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

mine broke right in front of the flex pipe.
the replacement choices are limited. Most everything out there is "steel". Shop around and try and fine a stainless down pipe and cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That will work and you do not need a tight connection at the tail pipe as a couple inches of water pressure will show the leaks.
OP only has 0.9 of water pressure

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That will work IF you use a bit of dish soap in the spray bottle and be observant for any trace of bubbles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #11
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Thank you all for your help! I am not able to do a leak test this month, so will have to do next. As soon as I do a test I will post the results, along with the mystery screw photo, but if I go under the car sooner I will be sure to take a photo of screw.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!