SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
That Was Easy
That Was Easy is on a distinguished road

Default intermitent starting and running.

Have an 07 Ion 2 2.2 engine. Replaced Battery and Alternator chasing this problem. Once running it drives perfect and super quite. Then without warning the engine cuts out. Sometimes I can start it while still rolling. Other times the car needs to sit for about 3 to 4 hours to start. Very random. Also notable. When I turn the key on, the engine temp gauge shows half way warm. I replaced coolant temp sensor and that did nothing at all. I am in the greater Phoenix area and it is 105 degrees plus outside so I guess the car does not get stone cold much. also notable. A lock icon on the dash shows when key is turned to try and start the car. Help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to That Was Easy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help That Was Easy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
That Was Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: intermitent starting and running.

Search for symptoms of an intermittent crank sensor - zero spark and injectors. One tell tale indication if the cars running at speed when the engine dies - battery and oil light turn on, tach dies. If the engine won't startup, the tach needle doesn't move while starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
That Was Easy

When the car dies while moving down the road the starter will not engage at all. all lights are on as you mentiond but the key will not engage the starter at all. my first thought was some kind of secruity/theft prevention is engaging. when it wont start I meant to say the key does nothing while the battery is new and all lights are on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help That Was Easy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Was Easy View Post
When the car dies while moving down the road the starter will not engage at all. all lights are on as you mentiond but the key will not engage the starter at all. my first thought was some kind of secruity/theft prevention is engaging. when it wont start I meant to say the key does nothing while the battery is new and all lights are on.
I think this is unusual for at least two reasons. 1) cars don't die while driving and 2) most drivers don't attempt restarting while the car coasts. You're suggesting a starting problem that either exists, doesn't exist or is ecm is programmed to prevent using the starter while the car coasts at speed until completely stopped. If this is a program in the ecm, you'd have to ask GM. This unusual issue is separate from normal starting where it's presumed a vehicle is parked, not moving, when starting.

Does the starter operate when the car is standing still or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
That Was Easy

when the engine stops while driving it is random if it will start after I stop and put it in park. I understand it wont start without the car in park. I tried to start it during the heat of the day and nothing. went out at night and it starts right up. I am really lost on this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
That Was Easy

The starter would not kill the engine while going down the road. when the starter engages the car starts up like new. problem is why does it quit while running and then why is it random to restart the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Most drivers will never think beyond the shock of an engine dying while driving. Basic reaction usually makes anyone panic, brake or if thinking a little, coast off the road as quickly as possible without endangering themselves first then avoiding traffic. Rarely will anyone with an automatic shift to neutral to attempt a restart while in gear, automatically preventing starter use. Coasting in gear, not neutral prevents starter use. Think about it. You're not parked, standing still where you can startup or shift to neutral to startup. You're not in your normal element when a sudden engine die off occurs while driving so your normal reaction would be to panic, coast safely off to the side of the road or stay in lane, brake but never shift into neutral - the only way to use the starter since your not parked. Coasting in neutral is not a normal reaction for anyone and probably the reason you tried starting...........in gear. Park and Neutral are the only positions that allows starter use. As to the engine dying and requiring a cool down period to allow restarting, this may be an intermittent crank sensor announcing impending permanent failure.

You have two choices, troubleshoot for two things (lack of spark and injector operation) the moment the engine dies again after driving or test at home if engine die off occurs while idling as long as possible to have the engine die. The randomness of engine die off makes this almost predictable but difficult to test unless you're patient. Testing to determine a faulty intermittent crank sensor requires the event to occur then troubleshooting immediately. The alternative is to remove the crank sensor and use a multimeter to measure resistance under three conditions - ambient temperature, after heating it up using boiling water and rapping it several times against a bench table edge. These three conditions replicate ambient temperature at startup, engine heat soaking and vibrations. If you're not interested and want a shotgun approach, replace it. The starter will need to be removed to have access to the crank sensor. Look up a part image so you can identify it on the engine block, hidden from view by the starter.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (10.7 KB, 0 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
jskiguy
jskiguy will become famous soon enoughjskiguy will become famous soon enough

Check the wire loom on the driver's side of the engine.
My daughter's 06 Ion, the loom had worn through rubbing
on a bolt on the engine. That caused a fuse to blow and different
symptoms. Maybe your's is doing the same and shorts
out another part of the electrical system randomly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jskiguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jskiguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #9
That Was Easy

Thank you jskiguy your info is a step in the right direction. As for fdryer rude insulting non helpful statements. We all could live without that. Since the car seems to only start during the night when the temp is below 90. This is consistent for 4 nights and days now. The problem needs to follow that direction. I did change the coils and plugs. But of course that did nothing as well. Ran it around last night and really realized how nice of a car it is. Guess I have to bring it to the dreaded dealership to see what is going on. I am guessing it is electrical/computer related. When it wont start it also wont run. So this seems like a computer glitch more than any other possible sensor failure. Thanks for the effort jskiguy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"rude insulting non helpful statements"? I think I was suggesting several things to help you but you seem to read my replies as rude and insulting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!