SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
bitterman
bitterman is on a distinguished road

Default AC compressor upgrade

Good evening.

I have an 06 Saturn Vue with a 2.2 Ecotec engine. I was curious if anyone had any knowledge of an upgrade to the stock air conditioning compressor. I have another leak at the rear diamond-shaped access point at the back of the compressor. This will be the third time I've repaired this type of leak. If another compressor would mount in and wire up and not have this type of leaking issue I would consider it but I don't know if an option is available.

I have been using the kit that comes with the gasket the copper colored valve and the spring to repair the leak when it arises.

Thank you in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2
Default Re: AC compressor upgrade

when you did this before did you replace the orifice screen that was clogged with debris from the 1st failure? or no? sounds like a high side pressure blow off..probably needs a new desacant bag as well and oil flush the lines

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was this a diy repair with a full system evacuation? Did you follow this thread as reference? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521 Post#13 shows a replacement orifice tube that acts as a filter trap, scroll control valve, spring and O-ring. Fair warning - ac repairs are unforgiving of mistakes, small or large.

And no, there are no upgrades for a specific compressor designed for a specific model. If it helps, Ford uses the same compressor and suffers the same problems. The correct repair is replacing the parts suggested, not adding oil unless specified, ensuring the sealing surfaces aren't corroded (preventing a pressure proof sea against a full evacuation/high pressure operation), performing a full evacuation and a final leak test to determine is a leak still exists or not before refilling a repaired system. Skipping any step may not allow full restoration of ac operation.

You may be the only one to suffer repeating failures of the scroll control valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
when you did this before did you replace the orifice screen that was clogged with debris from the 1st failure?
Did I miss something?

Mine was leaking at the same cover due to rust. I removed the rust and put several coats of paint on the cover. I also used Nylog on the seal. A/c still works great, although it's only been a couple of months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
bitterman
bitterman is on a distinguished road

No compressor upgrade. Okie dokey. I may have accidentally lead thoughts down a wrong path. The compressor has never stopped. It's still working and cooling the cabin. Also the original compressor with 175k on the clock. The only issue I'm having is with the leaking gasket behind the diamond plate. I cannot recall if I read the post listed by Fdryer, but if I did, I missed the section on the screen and trap. Sounds like this is where I may need proceed as I order another gasket and scroll valve kit. I will also check the diamond plate closer for any damage.

I have not done a full evacuation of the system. The shop that helps me only pulls out the freon and not the oil in the system. Other than this leak, all is good. I want to do this correctly so I do not damage any other components and hope I have not damaged any due the my failure on the screen and trap as part of the repair.

Thanks guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using any shop that legally must remove refrigerant into reclamation canisters only means that. They do not evacuate a system to negative pressures, only vacuum remaining refrigerant. This means a system is at zero, atmospheric pressure. Neither positive nor negative pressure to allow repairs. Once repairs are done, this system must be evacuated of all air and moisture before refilling with refrigerant. If you did not perform a full evacuation of a repaired system, this is a no no. Allowing air and moisture to remain in a repaired system contaminates the only drier designed to remove minute moisture from an evacuated system refilled with refrigerant, oil, and dye. Air and moisture are the enemies of every ac system that can eventually turn oil acidic to ruin a perfectly good system from incorrect repairs. Air alters operating pressures too, a detriment to normal operating pressures. There are no short cuts to ac repairs and not performing a full evacuation may be the only reason for repeated scroll control valve replacements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote