SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Scotty66
Scotty66 is on a distinguished road

Default 08 Saturn Astra Xe Won't Start! Please help!

Ok, this is an odd one. I was driving down the street in my astra and turned on the AC. It was 100 degrees outside. All of a sudden my car died. It would not turn back on. I just get one "click" from the starter and that's it.

From time to time before, turning on the A/C would make sort of a squeak. It would make the car shake eventually while stopped before it died completely.

I have tested the battery and it seems fine. We ran all appliances in the car and it does not seem to lose power. Everything works fine. It just won't start. The guy who towed my car said it is the starter. But it just seems odd the starter would go out while I am driving my car and completely kill the car.

We also checked fuses... Seem good to me. I took out the starter relay and I am testing it tonight.

The whole thing is just confusing to me.

I can give more information if needed. Please help! I would dearly appreciate it. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scotty66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scotty66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scotty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2
Default Re: 08 Saturn Astra Xe Won't Start! Please help!

drop the serp belt..or spin crankshaft by hand.look and see if the a/c compressor cluch or pully seized..if it did it blew fuses..pull them all 1 at a time and inspect..since you have batt power check the ubec 1st

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 08 Saturn Astra Xe Won't Start! Please help!

What voltage was the battery at? It could be your alternator. When mine was going out, I found the starter would one click, but not turn, if the battery was below 12.something volts. Our Astras seem very sensitive to starting voltage. After charging for a while, it would start up again. I would try getting a jump first to see if that starts it. If that works, it's probably just the alternator. I just had to do mine recently at 95,000 miles.

If that's not it, try spinning the A/C compressor pulley by hand with the belt off. If it doesn't spin freely, the compressor is locked up and has failed. On most cars, a locked compressor would simply shred the belt off, but the compressor is pretty large on this car compared to the engine power, so maybe it's enough to stall it when it locks. If you take the belt off, you could try starting the engine to make sure the starter/battery still work, but don't run it for long because the water pump won't spin.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote