SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default TRS 2/TCC fuse blowing.

2001 SL2 143K

Existing fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse and it blew on a 22 mile/20 minute drive.

Do I need a new solenoid?

Forward slam when doing 3/4 upshift and downshifts. Torque converter won't lock up.

All other shifts are fine, no reverse slam.

Getting ready to buy a new one on Amazon for $50. Just want to make sure there isn't something else I should check first.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: TRS 2/TCC fuse blowing.

Step #1 is check the solenoids cold resistance and top connector for heat damage. Replace all failed solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Dang - it can be more than 1?

What causes these to go bad?

Edit: I just watched a youtube video. I've been talking to Joe / Special Forces, and if I'm going to go through all that hassle to check the solenoids, I'm just going to get the new valve body with the new solenoids in it.

Last edited by DonP1; 07-22-2018 at 10:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

You won't get new solenoids, you will get used ones that have been checked the same as you can do in about 1/2 hr. More to the point, the problem is probably a short in the harness or connector. Possibly the bus plate on the VB, but I think that is less likely. Open connections on the bus are fairly common, but not shorts. Likewise, the solenoids tend to fail open, not shorted so bad as to cause severely high current. Besides, I expect the PCM drivers for the solenoids are self-protecting to limit current in event of a short.

Got it? I think power from that fuse is shorting to ground before it even gets into the trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
DonP1

1999 SL2

Yes, that makes good sense. You would think the solenoids would burn open.

So I will get down and pull the wiring connector just to check the solenoids from the outside just to make sure..

But if it is a wiring short, how to fix this? It would have to be one of the control wires touching a ground?

FYI this Saturn had an ECTS wire that was all crushed up as well. I don't know how these things happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Actually these solenoids can fail in the low resistance direction and not then go open circuit. This is why you actually check resistance on these things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
Dang - it can be more than 1?

What causes these to go bad?

Edit: I just watched a youtube video. I've been talking to Joe / Special Forces, and if I'm going to go through all that hassle to check the solenoids, I'm just going to get the new valve body with the new solenoids in it.
Good idea. Those are used properly tested solenoids so you know they are good and teh buss plate is functional.

The solenoids fail from heat and vibration. There are multiple turns in each layer of winding and multiple layers. Layer to layer shorts are rather common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!