SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #1
Hiram_32
Hiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura about

Default 02 SL2: Blue smoke when idling and low speed

For many months now, I've been noticing a lot of blue smoke billowing from the exhaust of my 02 SL2 after idling in traffic/parked and then shifting into drive. Someone recently told me this is caused by faulty rings in the engine--does anyone here have any insights/solutions?

156k Miles on engine

Thank you!

Last edited by Hiram_32; 07-21-2018 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Forgot to specify year and model. =P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiram_32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiram_32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiram_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 02 SL2: Blue smoke when idling and low speed

Rings and/or valve guides. The oil control rings stick because there are no drain back holes in the pistons. Your best options, in my opinion, is to consider it as mosquito control, or rebuild the engine. I chose the latter.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898
There are other threads out there, like cboss and ehunter.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram_32 View Post
For many months now, I've been noticing a lot of blue smoke billowing from the exhaust of my 02 SL2 after idling in traffic/parked and then shifting into drive. Someone recently told me this is caused by faulty rings in the engine--does anyone here have any insights/solutions?

156k Miles on engine

Thank you!
Your valve stem seals are shot and the oil is leaking from the valve guides. You can do just the valve stems, without removing the head.

With the flaw in the pistons, you should probably plan on doing a full rebuild just to make sure that you don't have excess oil consumption with sticking rings. Sealed Power makes pistons with drain back holes drilled into them.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Hiram_32
Hiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura aboutHiram_32 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Rings and/or valve guides. The oil control rings stick because there are no drain back holes in the pistons. Your best options, in my opinion, is to consider it as mosquito control, or rebuild the engine. I chose the latter.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898
There are other threads out there, like cboss and ehunter.
Thank you for the link, Waiex191. In your opinion, is there any danger of damaging the engine from prolonged use in this condition? I am about to do a road trip this week, and wondering there is any risk in doing so.

How long does a rebuild process take, approximately? 20hrs? Or more? Or less?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiram_32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Hiram_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Your valve stem seals are shot and the oil is leaking from the valve guides. You can do just the valve stems, without removing the head.

With the flaw in the pistons, you should probably plan on doing a full rebuild just to make sure that you don't have excess oil consumption with sticking rings. Sealed Power makes pistons with drain back holes drilled into them.
Saturn Night, thank you for the reply. If I comprehend correctly, you are suggesting that I can do the valve stems, and postpone a full rebuild until a later point?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

No danger, just don't run low on oil. I'd say more than 20 hours, but I didn't keep track. My entire rebuild took 5 months including the gearbox, subframe, brake lines, headliner, and the hard part - replacing the instrument panel light bulbs.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote