SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
J.W.
J.W. is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Range switch faulty ?

2001 SL 2, 187xxx miles., trans. flush and fluid change 2 days ago. Symptoms predate that.
Symptoms : Rare reverse slam, Also rare- seems to lose 4th gear..engine just revs with gas applied. shift to 3rd then to D and it is normal..even with starts and stops.

OBDII shows "transmission range sensor circuits malfunction" code- P0705
That shows on my reader and the same shows on Auto Zone's reader.
No other codes or problems show up.

It is adjusted correctly...starts only in park or neutral.
The ground wire is good...tested by substitution with new wire to ground.
How can I be certain the range switch is faulty ?
How can I test the 'other circuits' in the range system ?
Thank you for your help... JW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Range switch faulty ?

Range switch is worn out. Replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
J.W.

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Thank you , Nuc. With only 1 fault showing, I thought that had to be the case. The present switch is only a couple months old...new does not mean good !
I sent a PM also...unrelated.
JW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Aftermarket switches are hit or miss on quality. Those are very small pin contacts in that switch and multiple switches are closed/opened to encode the selected position. General recommendation is to pull an OEM switch out of a JY if you can find one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Try adjusting it again before throwing another switch at it; adjustment is cheap and easy. Not starting except in P or N doesn't prove it is presently adjusted OK; the start interlock contacts are totally different from the shift contacts and may be more tolerant of poor adjustment.

PS: I think your other symptoms are not related to the switch, the trans should not slam or allow the engine to free-rev even if the range switch is completely dis-connected. More testing is needed, but I expect a VB replacement is also in your future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
J.W.

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I bought a new switch at Autozone. It is marked "Saturn" (cast in) with a part number 24022303 below the name.
The box says made in Japan.
Can this really be a Saturn part, but made in Japan ?
I know.... Wishful thinking ? ?

I just read the label on the plastic wrap that held the switch... It does indeed say "Genuine GM in one corner, and General Motors Corp in the bottom right. Along with pn .. Looks like I got lucky ! ? (It also says Made in Japan)

It is easy enough to re check the switch alignment prior to replacing...if required. Good idea in any case.

Thank you all for your reply's... I shall consider them all.
JW

Last edited by J.W.; 07-21-2018 at 07:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Many OEM Saturn parts came from Japan. You indeed may have gotten lucky. There is a very specific alignment procedure and there is no rocking back and fort allowed. There is a scanned copy in my photo gallery if you do not have one.

You also should consider a replacement valve body before something breaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!