SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
penskeauto
penskeauto is on a distinguished road

Default KEEEP or Sell?

1998 SL1 with 48,xxx miles. Some rust. Some parts need to be replaced.

What would you do? I may be willing to sell.

Rock County WI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to penskeauto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help penskeauto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
penskeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Re: KEEEP or Sell?

Sell for how much? A lot of people would love a low mileage Saturn.

Does the car fit your needs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
penskeauto

It fits my needs for MPG. We have put over 180k on saturns. Just parted and scrapped a 99 sl2 at 265k because no one wanted it. I still have a 99 sl2 with 118k miles and now this 98 sl1 with 48k. Just love saturns. I bet GM wished they had never made this disposable car! Just too cheap and easy to fix and maintain.

My wife bought a Bonne GXP with 53k miles on it. Now has 105k. She will never drive another 4cyl unless its dirt track or drag car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help penskeauto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by penskeauto View Post
It fits my needs for MPG. We have put over 180k on saturns. Just parted and scrapped a 99 sl2 at 265k because no one wanted it. I still have a 99 sl2 with 118k miles and now this 98 sl1 with 48k. Just love saturns. I bet GM wished they had never made this disposable car! Just too cheap and easy to fix and maintain.

My wife bought a Bonne GXP with 53k miles on it. Now has 105k. She will never drive another 4cyl unless its dirt track or drag car.
I sure hope that GXP came with the 3800 Series-III, because if it came with the Cadillac 4.6L 32-valve DOHC Northstar V8, she will be back to driving a Saturn 1.9L inline 4 cylinder real soon.......

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I say keep. It's always good to have a backup.

My Saturn fleet is a 99 SC2, an 01 SL2 and a 99 SL2 (running parts car, salvage title due to slight front end damage (Not our fault).

All are right under 150K. All Auto.

And I just sent inquiries to a few more Saturns on craigslist LOL!

The 99 SL2 was a great driving car until some idiot ruined it 2 years ago. Of course I just done the rear drums, wires and plugs. AC was running great but now no longer runs. Could be from lack of driving. Grandma drives it around the farm.

Bought the SC2 with the insurance money. It had a few issues but now it runs great except no AC.

Bought the 01 SL2 a few months ago. Had a ton of issue so got it cheap. Fixed everything except a tranny solenoid and the AC.

My drive to work is 22 miles in traffic. I did a stick in a 2015 SI for three years and I'm done with that. My other car is a 2007 TL Type S, which is an awesome car, but uses premium and gets 23mpg. I use the SC2 on cool days when AC isn't needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

Wow! I would keep that one!!! <3 Almost the same car as mine; only one near newer and about 240,000 miles less, LMAO! I think it's nice!

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - sold

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 280K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
penskeauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post

I sure hope that GXP came with the 3800 Series-III, because if it came with the Cadillac 4.6L 32-valve DOHC Northstar V8, she will be back to driving a Saturn 1.9L inline 4 cylinder real soon.......
My wife claims she will just replace the motor. I told I wont touch it. Though I have. GRRRR The radiator is up next along with plugs/wires/filters, caliper/brake cylinders, pads and rotors again, tires/tpms, and flushes/fills. I told her before that a motor and trans for that car are as much as restoring almost 100% of the parts on the saturn. She looks at me AND I JUST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
penskeauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratwhisperer View Post
Wow! I would keep that one!!! <3 Almost the same car as mine; only one near newer and about 240,000 miles less, LMAO! I think it's nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
I say keep. It's always good to have a backup.

My Saturn fleet is a 99 SC2, an 01 SL2 and a 99 SL2 (running parts car, salvage title due to slight front end damage (Not our fault).

All are right under 150K. All Auto.

My drive to work is 22 miles in traffic. I did a stick in a 2015 SI for three years and I'm done with that. My other car is a 2007 TL Type S, which is an awesome car, but uses premium and gets 23mpg. I use the SC2 on cool days when AC isn't needed.

Thanks.. Yea still cant make up my mind. All I see in my mind is driving it around the state and bordering states this fall when the leaves turn... Then I see myself selling it and using the money for a truck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

What could you get for it VS. what is it worth?

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
My wife claims she will just replace the motor. I told I wont touch it. Though I have. GRRRR The radiator is up next along with plugs/wires/filters, caliper/brake cylinders, pads and rotors again, tires/tpms, and flushes/fills. I told her before that a motor and trans for that car are as much as restoring almost 100% of the parts on the saturn. She looks at me AND I JUST
Just wait until you have to change the starter motor out, on that engine.....

Step 1: Disconnect Negative Battery terminal(battery located under the rear bench seat)
Step 2: Remove Air Intake to throttle body.
Step 3: Remove coil pack assembly.
Step 4: Disconnect fuel lines(watch for remaining pressure)
Step 5: Disconnect vacuum lines to TB
Step 6: Remove Fuel Injectors
Step 7: Remove Intake Manifold

The starter will now be visible for removal.

Caddy Northstar V8s are so expensive because they are known for blown head gaskets, due to incorrect head bolt length going to far into the engine block.

Not only do you need TTY bolts to replace the head gasket, you will also need 16 heli-coils for the block per side.(Bolt removal causes the aluminum block to strip the threads out of the holes.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
DonP1

1999 SL2

This:
Quote:
Thanks.. Yea still cant make up my mind. All I see in my mind is driving it around the state and bordering states this fall when the leaves turn...
Not This:
Quote:
Then I see myself selling it and using the money for a truck.
We have a 2018 Ram Crew Cab. It eats gas like crazy but my wifes commute is less than 10 miles.

For the fall we usually break out the Challengers for drives.

But I always keep a beater Saturn for errands / long hauls / get to work and back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
This:

Not This:

We have a 2018 Ram Crew Cab. It eats gas like crazy but my wifes commute is less than 10 miles.

For the fall we usually break out the Challengers for drives.

But I always keep a beater Saturn for errands / long hauls / get to work and back.
I'm starting to see a pattern here......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

mine is a 1993 SL2, I hang on to it and it sits,but we keep insurance and tag on it and use it for a spare car, comes in handy when our pt cruiser or Sebring is down for repairs, they do not make Saturn's anymore, mine is close to being an antique at 30 yrs old,so I hang on to mine,runs great,hauls butt and is very dependable,just purchased a factory spoiler for it 6 months ago,have to paint it and install it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote