SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL1
Default Intake manifold air plenum

When I cleaned my throttle body on my 98 SL1 last week, I noticed it was pretty dirty in areas I couldn't get to, but was in a hurry. Specifically, the large aluminum part that the throttle body connects to looked pretty black/sotty were the PCV gases come in. I don't know the exact name for it, it might be intake manifold air plenum. When I search for the intake manifold I find pictures of the part which holds the fuel injectors. Is the intake manifold all one piece that goes directly from the throttle body to the engine block? Or does that top part come off for further cleaning?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Intake manifold air plenum

It is the manifold. The fuel injectors plug into the runners from the plenum. It is all one casting. Not super easy to remove but definitely possible.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL1

Thanks. That definitely looks like I'd be opening a can of worms I'm sure its not fun trying to scrap and clean the surface on the back side of the engine for the intake manifold gasket. I think I'll take a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach. Thanks again for the picture of the full manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman70 View Post
Thanks. That definitely looks like I'd be opening a can of worms I'm sure its not fun trying to scrap and clean the surface on the back side of the engine for the intake manifold gasket. I think I'll take a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach. Thanks again for the picture of the full manifold.
Using an E6 inverted Torx socket can remove the studs for scraping the remaining bits of gasket off the surfaces of the head.

I wouldn't worry about the soot/carbon, unless you need to pull the cylinder head off the engine for a head gasket repair of other reason. The car will continue to run fine, despite all the soot inside the manifold.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote