SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
GreasySteve
GreasySteve is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 Ion P0601 dies /restarts after x minutes

Hello Saturn lovers! I recently was given a 2006 Ion 2.2 ecotec with 5 speed manual from my nephew. It has 190k miles. The car had sat about a year, battery was totally dead. Jump box only got a few clicks out of the starter solenoid but adding a jump off my other car (97 Volvo 850) and it fired right up and idled amazingly well for year old fuel. I had already checked fluids so I let it run to normal op temp and shut it down. Came back next day with a new battery, aired up the tires, filled the tank with fresh fuel and drove it about 15 miles to home. I then sold my Volvo and transferred plates / insurance to the Saturn proud of my shiny and much newer car.
Problem is, the second time I took it for a ride it just quit while I was driving. The engine light came on so I tried to restart and got nothing, starter did not engage, not even a click from the solenoid that I could hear. After a few more attempts, I sat there 3 to 5 minutes, turned key off and removed it, put it back in and tried it and it started. When I got home I pulled P0340 (Cam Position Sensor A Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction) and P0601 (Internal Control Module Checksum Memory Error). After several hours of research on this sight I reseated the wiring to the ICM (ignition control module), replaced the crank sensor as maintenance, and cleaned all ground connections to body and block as well as positive connections at fuse panel under hood. No change other than now I just get P0601 without P0340.
Further research led me to ignition switch. Turns out nephew never did the recalls so I had it towed to Chevy dealer for new key, lock cylinder, ignition switch and power steering assist motor. It died twice within a mile of leaving the dealer, then drove over 20 more miles to home without incident. I got home, pulled codes and got P0601 plus P2125, P2122, P2123 and P2128. All the 2xxx codes are for throttle position sensor and have not returned. Just the P0601 and whenever it dies it will restart after a few minutes. The ICM doesn't have any effect on the starter cranking the engine over does it?
Wiring harness?? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreasySteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreasySteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreasySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
GreasySteve

Default Re: 2006 Ion P0601 dies /restarts after x minutes

Following up on my 2006 Ion that dies randomly and sets a code P0601.... I saw on Scotty Kilmer's website how cleaning the contacts on the PCM with CRC's QD contact cleaner could repair bad connections due to corrosion. Also, when I installed the crankshaft sensor I had removed the starter for access and noticed the connections at the starter solenoid looked pretty corroded. I didn't do anything at the time because I assumed the code pointed to a sensor or module and it was the cause of my problem. But now I was grasping at straws and without the benefit of a wiring schematic I had no way to reason anything so I got some CRC and cleaned the terminals on the PCM. Then I pulled the starter and removed the wires one at a time and wire brushed or sanded them till I struck shine. I also wire brushed the studs and nuts on the solenoid to ensure a clean connection. What I found though, under the heavy gauge supply wire (battery +) was another terminal connected to a fusible link. No way to tell where it went but there was a lot of green corrosion on it and even sandpaper had a hard time striking clean metal. I removed the terminal, stripped to clean wire and crimped on a new terminal. Then I soldered it to be sure it wouldn't eventually corrode too. After putting it all back together I have driven it about 50 miles. The code P0601 has come back twice but the car has not died on me driving or otherwise. I noticed so far that both times the check engine light came on right at startup. So far it hasn't come on while driving. The car has continued to run even though the check engine light is on. I therefore think I had multiple problems. The random dying while driving I attribute to the poor connection at the fusible link. It must feed something necessary for running. The P0601 I am still unsure of but I believe my nephew said the check engine light had been on and the car still ran so he did nothing. Since I have it, I will use CRC to clean all sensor connections I can get at and am looking into possible reprogramming of the PCM. I believe I have access to a Standard Motor Parts programmer through a friend at a parts store. Not sure if this is a good idea so I will try everything else first. Thanks to Master Member 2006 ION 2 for the post on PM maintenance. I am going to clean injectors and MAF sensor today and possibly the throttle body. I'll take a look at the throttle control motor??? as well to check connections and clean if possible. Will let you all know what happens. Hopefully it can help someone else someday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GreasySteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Low battery power may be setting the P0601.
Test the battery power, ignition power and grounds with a volt meter. Use a volt meter to test for voltage and then test for voltage drop. Voltage drop needs to be tested with normal or slightly higher electrical load. Test battery cables while cranking the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
GreasySteve

Thanks for the feedback Bern. I will try the voltage tests tomorrow. I'm also going to order a Chilton or Haynes manual for the car. Do you have a preference? I need a schematic so I can trace things out. Something else I noticed, on several occasions when it acted up the radio went nuts. Twice it went into channel seek mode on its own and several times the channel / time indicator flashed on and off wildly for awhile. When it straightened out the car restarted. It died on me today for the first time since I cleaned everything up and the P0340 is back along with the P0601. In the days prior I drove over a hundred miles without it dying even though the 601 code reappeared a couple times. I think I'll replace the fusible link with a weatherproof ATC fuse setup just to be sure it's not burnt internally. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
GreasySteve

Dizzy Re: 2006 Ion P0601 dies /restarts after x minutes

Well, its been a week or so and I haven't killed myself or the car yet!!! About a hundred hours into it so far, I noticed that the car seems to die when there is an electrical load on it. Drove it to the gym and it ran fine. Came out after dark and with the headlights on it died 3 times before I could get out of the lot. I left it there, came back next day, same p0601 code. Started it, went around the lot OK, drove it home without AC or lights on, ran fine. Got in the driveway and turned on the headlights and AC and it died. I was monitoring the voltage at the alternator output (direct link to battery) and it maintained good voltage. Monitoring the starter solenoid voltage also and verified no voltage in crank position at the solenoid when it dies. Shut it off a few minutes and it starts again. I then pulled the BCM to inspect it. Removed all the fuses and they almost looked burnt on the contacts. I cleaned them with some fine sandpaper and reinstalled them after cleaning the entire BCM fuse and relay panel and the wire connections with CRC contact cleaner. I also swapped the relays around with identical ones in the panel (also had done this in the fuse box under the hood. I identified the pinouts on the ignition switch and verified batt+ voltage in on one pin and 5.5V in on another. Fired it up in the driveway and let it idle for a few minutes with headlights on, AC on high fan and brakes on, it didn't die!!! Thought it was fixed. Drove it tonight with AC and headlights on, got 7.5 miles and it quit again. Pulled p0601 and p0340 again (checksum error and cam sensor codes). I was monitoring the output voltage on ignition batt1 relay (position 28 in underhood fuse box) but couldn't see it in the dark. By the time I read the codes it restarted and I drove it home without further incident. I did notice the 5.5 volt signal at the ignition switch drops to 4.5 volts when the key is in run position. This could be due to the resistor in passlock system in the BCM but I'm not sure. I tried to monitor voltages coming out of the ignition switch while running but it set off the passlock system. After I pulled my leads from the switch and did a 10 minute reset it started OK and I was able to take the drive mentioned above. I'll try again tomorrow to monitor the relay output voltage during the day with lights and AC (after I make an appointment at the local garage). It's hard to pay $100.00 / hour on a fixed income! ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PUT A POINTS STYLE DISTRIBUTOR IN A SATURN 2.2?????:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

The ignition switch dose not control any electrical load. It is only a low voltage sensor that detects driver's Ignition mode selection.

Try this voltage drop test; with the engine running, ALL electrical components ON high, volt meter red lead connected to large battery positive terminal on the corn of the underhood fuse block, one at a time connect [touch] the back lead of the volt meter to every fuse the car has. Did any of the test have more than 1 volt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

DTC P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0605, P0606, P0607, P060E, P1600, P1621, P1627, P1681, P1683, or P2610
Description
This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the engine control module (ECM). This diagnostic also addresses if the ECM is not programmed.

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

•DTC P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)
•DTC P0602 Control Module Not Programmed
•DTC P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
•DTC P0604 Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM)
•DTC P0606 Control Module Internal Performance
•DTC P0607 Control Module Performance
•DTC P060E Control Module Throttle Position (TP) System Performance
•DTC P1621 Control Module Long Term Memory Performance
•DTC P2610 Control Module Ignition Off Timer Performance
Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

5.A DTC P0602 indicates that the ECM is not programmed.
DTC P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0605, P0606, P0607, P060E, P1600, P1621, P1627, P1681, P1683, or P2610 Step
Action
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check – Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Are DTCs for the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor or throttle position (TP) sensor set?
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
Go to Step 3

Is DTC P060E set?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5

Inspect all the APP and TP sensor circuits for shorts to ground, opens, shorts to voltage, poor terminal tension, etc.

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 5

Is DTC P0602 set?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 8

Program the engine control module (ECM). Refer to Service Programming System (SPS).

Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 10

 1. Ensure that all tool connections are secure.
 2. Ensure the programming equipment is operating correctly.
 3. Ensure the correct software/calibration package is used.
 4. Attempt to program the ECM. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS).
Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 10

Test all voltage and ground inputs to the ECM for an open circuit or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs.

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 9

Replace the ECM. Refer to Control Module References.

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 10

 1. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
 2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
 3. Start the engine.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 11

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
GreasySteve

Thanks Bern and Satlite for your replies. After pulling my hair out I took the car to a reputable local garage who told me (for $112.00) that I needed a PCM. I spoke to the tech and he told me the P0601 code means an internal error and virtually always requires replacement. Wish they had just told me that to start with when I told them the codes I had. They gave me a $1200.00 estimate to repair it and I left. Researched online PCM repairs and ended up sending it out to G-7 Computers in New York. They diagnosed it was too damaged to repair and sent it back, refunding my up front repair fee except for $25.00 to cover shipping and checkout. I later tracked down a local guy who picked up a replacement and installed / programmed it at my home for $200.00. Now it seems to run fine with any electrical loads applied. FYI, there are quite a few places who will check out and repair a module for your vehicle. Some require programming on the car and some may not. Do some research and you can save yourself $$$ like I did. Thanks again for all who responded, I learned a lot!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!