SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default New dogbone mount or just the insert

A few months ago now I replaced the top motor mount and figured I would just leave it at that. I've read since then though that if I want that mount to last as long as possible, the other 3 mounts need to be in good condition too. Now, there's not really any symptoms that there going bad (although I though the same thing about the top mount until someone pointed it out to me) but there definitely the original mounts so there probably pretty worn. The trans mount will be easy, just be a new OE mount as they're still available and not that expensive. What about the two dogmlunts though, is aftermarket an option or is OE the best way to go for the dogbone mounts as well? Ive done some research on this and I've seen that some people just replace the insert that goes in the mount. Is that the best option? I'm trying to avoid going with something without looking into it and have it make things worse like some of the aftermarket top mounts end up doing.

You'll never catch me, not when I shift into, performance mode!
1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: New dogbone mount or just the insert

The poly inserts are specifically to be used with late 97 to 2002 OEM dogbone mounts (see linked photo) as the earlier ones are not suitable. There are many opinions on using these and many find them too stiff. That said OldNuc has a strong opinion on them which basically indicates they are fine as long as you tune your "complete mount system". Take read through this post >> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=14

The low cost option is to replace your bottom one with a decent used top one. The bottom one lives in a harsh environment and is more susceptible to failure. The top one is pretty protected and will last longer.

The high cost option is to go with OEM dogbones which work fine. Part # 21013105 and about $110-175 ea from a dealer depending on the discount.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=48264

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 07-20-2018 at 01:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
The poly inserts are specifically to be used with late 97 to 2002 OEM dogbone mounts.
So if I have an early 97 the mounts won't be compatible with the Polly inserts?

1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You tell by looking and if you do not have the late design you go get a set from some gen 3 cars by pulling only the transmission side as they will still be clean. This is what the correct shell looks like.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...-the/cat/12963

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...-the/cat/12963

These mounts are only to stop or limit axle windup and engine/transmission lift. They also preserve the top and trans mounts as when these work properly ther is only a slight twist on the top and trans mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I upgraded my early 1997 dogbones to two pulled from later models.

Since the oval portion of those looked in good shape but the round portion with metal insert was a bit worn, I replaced those portions with inserts. I still have the oval portions for later use if needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Picked up two third design mounts from the junkyard eariler. Is there a way to inspect them like there is with the top motor mount? There is some play then I move the inner metal part around but I'm not sure what would be considered a normal amount of play. And they are a little rusty, would that affect anything? I did brush them off with a metal brush the best I could.

1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They are likely junk elastomer wise and there is no inspection other than visual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

I saw those same posts recommending replacing all the mounts along with the top motor mount (already done), so I did mine this weekend as well. I'm cheap so I just went with the $11 amazon versions.

Dogbone: https://amzn.to/2KwhlvG
Trans Mount: https://amzn.to/2OhdlS5

The bottom dogbone was COMPLETELY shot, it wasn't doing anything.

The top dogbone was WAY beefier than the bottom. Much heavier, much more solid looking mount. This one was in good shape but the smaller piece of rubber at the top was pretty shot, so I replaced it. I kept it though for possible rebuilding, the design on this top dogbone looks much better.

Last was the trans mount, it was pretty sloppy so I'm glad I replaced it.

The car had a brief shake (mostly noticeable as a quick muffler rattle) on first startup and when starting in first gear, but now that's completely gone. . Car feels great shifting through the gears.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I bought the same trans mount it seems decent.
I bought the dog bone also it lasted a day. (it was junk i hope your's is better.)
I went to Junk Yard got newer style don bone and rebuilt them with poly inserts all good now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote