SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Pluto2018
Pluto2018 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 1999 SL2 Crankcase valve (?)

Hi Saturn Fans! I got a super deal on a 1999 SL2 with 85K for $900.00. I was warned that although I got a super deal, replacement parts would be difficult to locate. With that said, I went today to get my car smogged. He showed me the "crankcase" tube and it pulled off easily from the engine (?), and then said I needed to get a crankcase valve to keep the tube secure. I've searched online high and low and I'm unable to locate a crankcase valve. Anyone know where I can buy a crankcase valve online? I've attached a picture for detail. (The tube is attached in the pic). Thank you in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (129.7 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pluto2018's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pluto2018 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pluto2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 1999 SL2 Crankcase valve (?)

It is already in place there in the picture you posted, above the oil fill cap in that picture. How about high-lighting the hose that is coming loose and posting a new picture? Honestly, it sounds like this shop you went to is going to be trouble, or there is mis-communication between you two. That PCV system is about the simplest thing (smog-related or otherwise) about an engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
Pluto2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
It is already in place there in the picture you posted, above the oil fill cap in that picture. How about high-lighting the hose that is coming loose and posting a new picture? Honestly, it sounds like this shop you went to is going to be trouble, or there is mis-communication between you two. That PCV system is about the simplest thing (smog-related or otherwise) about an engine.

The tube that is loose is located at the top of the page (sideways "M"). He told me the one near the oil fill cap is called the PCV. I suppose I might have my terminology wrong. He said since it is loose, I need a crankcase valve for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pluto2018 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Pluto2018

I've added a blue arrow to indicate the loose tube. Thank you for helping!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (206.3 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

common part behind the counter. I bought one at Orielly's the other say. Throwsome hose clamps on if you desire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

What does that hose even do? I ran the car for about a day before before I realized I forgot to put it back on after removing the throttle body and the car didn't really seem to care.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:09 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pull off the hose and examine the part on the cam cam cover. Does it resemble the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve below? A rubber grommet may be used to hold the pcv valve to the cam cover. If the hose is loose, it's either too large or just needs a clamp. Since it doesn't appear to be losing any fluid misting from normal blowby gases, the loose connection may be just a sore point to the mechanic.

Emissions control requires recycling combustion blowby gases generated in all engines to the intake air system. The pcv valve is just a spring with a ball to act as a one way valve to allow crankcase gases to flow out the pcv valve while the intake air system vacuum sucks it back to mix with the fresh fuel/air mixtures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19313315_Primary__ra_m.jpg (7.7 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I got my zig-zag hose from Rock Auto. That hose has no PCV.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on)+hose,11784

The PVC valve is on the back of the valve cover next to the oil fill. It goes into the intake. This is my '98 but is the same on the '99.

Parts are not super hard to find. Those parts will not affect emissions.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Pluto2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post
common part behind the counter. I bought one at Orielly's the other say. Throwsome hose clamps on if you desire.
The tech said I need a valve to insert into the tube to then attach to the other area. I added a new picture with a blue arrow for the correct tube that's loose. So you are saying I could just use a clamp and that should suffice, for smog testing? Thank you for your response

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Pluto2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Pull off the hose and examine the part on the cam cam cover. Does it resemble the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve below? A rubber grommet may be used to hold the pcv valve to the cam cover. If the hose is loose, it's either too large or just needs a clamp. Since it doesn't appear to be losing any fluid misting from normal blowby gases, the loose connection may be just a sore point to the mechanic.

Emissions control requires recycling combustion blowby gases generated in all engines to the intake air system. The pcv valve is just a spring with a ball to act as a one way valve to allow crankcase gases to flow out the pcv valve while the intake air system vacuum sucks it back to mix with the fresh fuel/air mixtures.
I added a new picture with a blue arrow pointing to the loose hose. No it does not have the silver valve you attached. It's just a black hose. Do I really need a valve? Or could I just get away with a clamp? I'm not able to locate the correct valve that this "CCV" requires. Thank you for your response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
Pluto2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I got my zig-zag hose from Rock Auto. That hose has no PCV.

The PVC valve is on the back of the valve cover next to the oil fill. It goes into the intake. This is my '98 but is the same on the '99.

Parts are not super hard to find. Those parts will not affect emissions.
Hi and thanks for your response. So in your picture, the little zig-zag hose the right of the "M" is what is loose on mine. (I posted a new picture with a blue arrow indicating this part.) Is your hose attached with a valve or a clamp of some sort? Or just the hose fits directly on the "M" area? How does it stay on without being loose? The tech told me I needed to get a "CCV" valve. I've called everywhere and everyone says it is no longer in production. I've tried Ebay, Amazon, rockauto, etc. Stressed out....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The tech sounds clueless. The zig zag hose has no valve and no clamp. The correct hose fits snugly. The PVC valve is on the other hose.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The hose in the picture is the clean filtered air intake to the crankcase. You do not want to suck unfiltered air into the engine as the silica dust contained will soon eat the rings and bearings. There is a continuous purge flow of air through these engines. There is a maximum crankcase vacuum specification to prevent seal damage and excess crank/seal wear. The OEM air inlet hoses are no longer available but creative shopping will produce a more elegant solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #14
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The hose I bought from Rock Auto has been great. I got a new one for each of my saturns.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Sometimes you get the one with the plastic elbows and sometimes you get a chunk of 3/8 hose, just depends.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mine was just the zig zag hose. There is a plastic fitting on the intake tube and the plastic fitting/grommet on the valve cover were totally reusable.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
The tech sounds clueless. The zig zag hose has no valve and no clamp. The correct hose fits snugly. The PVC valve is on the other hose.
Your are correct. Your picture shows the layout. My unfamiliarity with parts of the S-series is reminded with clear images. If I'm not mistaken, the edited image below should help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (126.2 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Mine was just the zig zag hose. There is a plastic fitting on the intake tube and the plastic fitting/grommet on the valve cover were totally reusable.
My 99 and 96 had to have the exact hose replaced. I bought the exact same zig zag hose it was a exact replacement.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on)+hose,11784

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

OP, are you getting the drift? There is not supposed to be a "valve" there (at blue arrow) and if the tech insists otherwise, you should abandon that shop.

Others: is there supposed to be a nipple pressed or molded into the plastic covers that is missing here; is that the root problem? It looks like the hose end is just stuffed into a hole in the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #20
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

His looks just like my 99 except for the creative hose substitute.

98:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99 hose.jpg (121.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 98 hose.jpg (131.3 KB, 19 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!