SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default AC "Tube" replacement? (discontinued pn: 21031290)

Well hopefully the third time's the charm finding this damn AC leak. Unfortunately, where I found it on the "Tube. Air Conditioning (All Metal)" (PN: 21031290) is discontinued. I guess a pick-n-pull is my option? I don't know what it would be categorized under on car-part.com.

I searched this forum for the part number and of course the only post it was mentioned in was one of mine from 2 years the first time I was trying to track down this *$&#^*$ leak.

Edit: Actually this first result on google supposedly has it, http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/21031290.html. But i don't know if I believe it because no where else has it in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20180719_180729.jpg (73.3 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: AC "Tube" replacement? (discontinued pn: 21031290)

Pull from a pick and pull. That is aluminum tubing and the system has or had oil that was exposed to moisture in it at some time. I would also flush out the entire system unless you can tell the leak is from the outside in and not inside out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Thank you, I'm considering calling a few local junkyards and seeing if they have any saturns in the yard and if they can pull this tube for me...closet pick-n-pull is 2 hours away.

Wouldn't "inside out" be preferable to "outside in" (which makes it sound like debris would be sucked in to the system)?

An AC Flush sounds like an expensive service I don't trust any shop would do properly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this the part (used); https://www.ebay.com/p/1999-2000-Sat...ipe/1417798547 ?

Don't throw away that damaged line. If you cannot locate a replacement line, consider finding a great welder familiar with aluminum tube repair. He/she may be able to solder aluminum and seal it.

Great snapshot revealing leak/dye spot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

No, it's this part: https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../21031290.html (#19). The long tube between the expansion valve and the receiver dryer with the pressure switch on it.

I'll ask around about a welder, might know someone. Just getting it out of the car seems like a huge pain.. and it's right at the fuse box (visible in the picture) with no room to weld in the car though.

Yeah, I missed it several times because the thin, thin cloth that protects the tube right at that spot...i'm surprised the leak wasn't more evident through it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tube soldering aluminum must be done on a bench. The area must be cleaned thoroughly of all dirt, grease and oil and either wire brushed or sanded to expose bare aluminum. The interior must be flushed of all oil too. This preps the aluminum for melting aluminum sticks to seal the hole(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Evan, your 1st post referenced a link, I put the part into the cart and it gave me this list of 'potential' dealerships with the part.

The site seems to be a marketplace catch-all.

One would have to do a search on each of the listed dealers to verify if indeed it is in stock or discontinued.

If interested, try this link:
http://oemcats.com/cart/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The cost of attempting a repair will way exceed the cost of a replacement. Either way it has to come out of there.

Aluminum welding is a touchy process on thin tubing that has been oil soaked for years. Unless you can DIY it there is not much point in attempting the near impossible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote