SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
bigtoque
bigtoque is on a distinguished road

Default I want to powerwash my engine bay; How to protect alternator in '01 SL2?

I've got a 2001 SL2 that's running pretty well at the moment. I did a hand cleaning as best as I could a few months back but my roommate just came home with a power washer so I figured perhaps this was an opportunity to give the engine bay a bit of a clean again. I've got some engine degreaser and I'm ready to go.

The big areas I've read to be protected are the ignition coils which shouldn't be a problem to cover. The other thing is the alternator, but (unless I'm mistaken about what I'm looking at - behind/below engine on passenger side near the wheel) it's located in such a terribly awkward location that I don't know how to reliably cover the area, and I'm not going to risk damaging something because I want to get the car a little cleaner.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how to cover the alternator? Is there anything else I should be covering?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigtoque's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigtoque reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigtoque is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I want to powerwash my engine bay; How to protect alternator in '01 SL2?

Don't bother covering stuff
Leave the car running and just be aware of what you're spraying. I might get roasted for that but its always worked for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Default Re: I want to powerwash my engine bay; How to protect alternator in '01 SL2?

^^agreed. Just do it.

Just soak the whole thing in engine degreaser, give it a couple minutes and pressure wash away. Don't directly spray the spark plug holes (too much) or the alternator (too much) and you'll be fine.

I've pressure washed many, many engine bays (and dirty alternators) and never had an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturnwash.jpg (109.8 KB, 21 views)

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I hosed mine down the other day while it was cool.

I was curious if you have to worry about cold water cracking a hot aluminum block or head?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Be careful around the exhaust manifold. That can crack if blasted with cold water. I'd avoid spraying the ICM/coil assembly as well, but anything else shouldn't be too much of an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

the water is not going to hurt the alternator or coils,when your driving in the rain they both get swamped with water

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote