SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Why is it so difficult to order parts from GM?

I have been trying to order lock cylinders for my two Saturn Station Wagons cuz when I bought them for some reason on both cars someone decided to destroy the key slots for the doors. I went to the dealership to see if they could order them and they told me they were out of stock and they were no longer made so they could not obtain them but if I could obtain them bring them in and they would install them. I called around and nobody seemed to have stock of them but there was someone helpful at GM parts supplier off of eBay they gave me the part number for them and wish me luck. Well by chance I came across a website called Thatgmpartsguy.com . the person who answered the phone was not only helpful but kind polite and offered suggestions on how to go about ordering parts through GM. they fortunately had the part however he recommended that I ordered it through the website because it gave a discount which he could not provide to me if I ordered it directly over the phone from him. I went back and did and ordered two ignition switches as well because my cars would probably need them too and I didn't want to need them and not have them as opposed to have them in that need them. so I ordered two lock cylinders and two ignition switches for both my Saturn Station Wagons and they came out to about $50 each. I found this reasonable for brand new parts so I went ahead and ordered them. I'm also trying to find the rubber guard that goes around the door lock cylinder to protect it or the door when the key misses the lock. if anybody has ideas where I can get those I would greatly appreciate you letting me know. I just found the whole process of ordering a GM part to be funny because no one was all that helpful and all I could do is say they're out of stock and good luck. I know I cars are 15 years old and parts are hard to find but I know that some parts are stocked for a long time after the fact but I guess we are transitioning to a time where nobody keeps talk anymore on anything and if they do it's by accident. have you had a similar situation if so what are your thoughts on the matter on trying to find parts that are new as opposed to some that are from the junkyard. I have even resorting to buying things a little bit more costly off of eBay because I know that they will have been removed from early and are guaranteed for quality which I don't want to go to a junkyard attempt to remove apart and wound up wasting my time and breaking the part and wasting my money. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Why is it so difficult to order parts from GM?

The last two L series I purchased I went to the local GMC dealer with my title in hand and had them cut new factory keys. They even had Saturn blanks in stock, so my keys look and work like new.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't find it too hard to come by parts. I think you're making it a little harder than it needs to be. Rockauto stocks the OE ignition cylinder and door looks can be found online easily as well. As you said these cars are 15 or so years old. You will need to do some work to get the parts from time to time. Also dont be worried about using junkyard parts. I pulled an ignition cylinder, door, trunk and glove box locks and keys from the junkyard once. They were in excellent shape and cost me nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Welcome to the Saturn Orphanage.

I am located in central Florida near Orlando and the local Chevy Dealer - Starling told me that as the original parts supply dwindled, GM had reorganized the remaining parts into regional centers. Starling were the Saturn point for my region (have no clue what constitutes a region?).

Many parts for Saturn's continue to be made by Aftermarket folks and that supply will continue whilst there is economic demand. The OEM parts supplied by GM will eventually dwindle away to zero. Junk yards will continue to be a valuable source pint for parts for years to come.

It is worthwhile remembering that the L series is based on the Opel Vectra from Germany and many of the underpinnings, brakes, suspension, etc are common. Whilst the L series was never a big seller in the US, the Vectra sold by the truck load as it was a mainstay of many business fleets. The parts supply is still big over there. So for example if you need to replace the rear suspension bushings for the L series, buy from Europe. The parts costs are cheaper as well The brakes are also common to the Saab 9-5 and 9-3 models. Some engine components on the L300-V6 are shared by the Caddy Catera (first version).

If you delve deeply enough you will find that many parts on many GM cars are common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I ordered some parking brake cables for the rear drums from a website in Ireland. Only one engine size of the Vectra B came with drum brakes, but they had the parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks everybody for all your good information but what I will continue to do its first get original factory parts if possible. Next if not possible I will use aftermarket parts if available. Lastly I will attempt to go to the junkyard and find salvaged parts but I know that these have a shorter life span even though they are reasonably priced. I know there are obviously some things I can only get at the junkyard but things like ignition switches and door key cylinders or engine parts will obviously be worn and may or may not be able to be trusted. I understand about the orphanage and when we have cars this old it's less than what people who have brand new cars have & more like a hobby to keep them running. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote