SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Cherokee_Indian
Cherokee_Indian is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Aura XR (3.6L) - A/C Not working

Hello,

I have a 2007 Aura XR (3.6L) and the A/C stopped working all of a sudden few weeks ago. However the previous day evening, it was putting good cold air.

I took it to Goodyear Auto care and did their A/C performance check and they said the compressor, condenser and expansion valve need to be changed and gave the quote (total of $1,449.75) for the following:

Compressor $ 685.10
Condenser $ 516.00
Expansion Valve $ 188.65
Evac-Recharge $ 60.00
Total $1,449.75

I want to check with another place and took it to Firestone Auto care. They did their A/C performance check and

Cap and Valve Kit $ 27.99 (Part # 801797: A/C Valve Core and Cap Kit)
Labor $ 31.80
Total $ 59.79

R134A Per Ounce $ 2.50
R134A Per Pound $ 40.00
A/C System Dye $ 10.00
A/C Service $ 79.99
Total Evac-Recharge$132.49

Net Total $192.28

The diagnosis and assessment is totally different from these two shops. Also the cost for the parts they quoted are available in AutoZone and other store for one-third of the price.

Can "A/C System Valve Core and Cap Kit" cause A/C stop working?

What should I do? Please advise and/or share your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cherokee_Indian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cherokee_Indian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cherokee_Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Aura XR (3.6L) - A/C Not working

I would lean towards the firestone result. I have a 2008 that stopped working last year after 9 years. I used one of the self chargers with the gauge to determine that it was low on refrigerant and then added a small can. That got the compressor to kick on and its been working since, so it could be a very slow leak in the fill valve I suppose. Unless you have a lot of miles I would be suspect about the compressor going. The compressor is designed to stop working when the pressure (refrigerant) is low to prevent damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Aura XR (3.6L) - A/C Not working

If you never experienced deliberate gouging, lies, dishonesty, unethical and other words to describe quite possibly two divergent businesses, welcome to reality. Yes, you can find parts at discount prices but businesses mark up parts for several reasons; storage, handling, paying for expertise when repairing something, and the most important business priority - making a profit to stay in business or fold. We pay not only for repairs but for the expertise that goes into repairs. Labor is not cheap and adds to repair costs. Both estimates may be correct. The difficulty in determining why a large disparity in estimates may be due to unfamiliarity with vehicle ac systems to question why major parts are needed as opposed to the lower estimate possibly based on an honest assessment.

Did both places spend time assessing your system and then going over it with you with explanations? One may be completely gouging you to empty your wallet with lies while the other may be an honest business with everything to gain by replacing only parts that are needed in return for a successful repair and possible future visits for other repairs.

Pricing

*A 30lb canister of r134a costs $96 - 0.20 cents per ounce
*A 12oz can of r134a costs $5 - 0.42 cents an ounce

Prices found are assuming a person knows what to do with refrigerant and can service vehicle ac systems. I didn't include the costs for refrigeration gauges, hoses, electric vacuum pump, and miscellaneous items for diy repairs. Knowledge of refrigeration cots money to learn, practice repairs, and having certification with an entity like ASE to provide professional services. Expertise costs money when relying on professional services.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote