SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
hydromech
hydromech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default AC clutch engaging. No cold air

Refrigerant level was so low that AC clutch could not engage. I hooked my AC recharge kit and added one can of 134a. I did that every other season and so far AC was functioning.

This time - after adding 134a, AC clutch is engaging OK, kit pressure gauge reads OK pressure.
But still - no cold air produced..

HOT Chicago summer what can be done ?

2000 Saturn SL1, SOHC, Automatic, 189K

Last edited by hydromech; 07-15-2018 at 06:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hydromech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hydromech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hydromech is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: AC clutch engaging. No cold air

You need to put a set of gauges on it.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
hydromech

2000 SL1

Thanks for reply

set of gauges will show if Compressor is OK ?

Clutch is engaging. That means there is enough pressure to keep pressure switch closed... Why - no cold air ???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hydromech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Most likely, you are compressing 1 can of R134a and an equal amount of AIR.
Need to pull a vacuum, prove it stays a vacuum and then recharge while monitoring both the High (gas) side gauge, and the Low (liquid/suction) side gauge set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
hydromech

2000 SL1

I wonder - how could air get into the AC system. I never disconnected any AC component or hose. And there was some pressure left before I put my 134a into the system...

I only have a hand vacum pump. That one is not strong enough to evacuate ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

You added refrigerant because your system was not full, correct?
Well, it had leaked out somewhere (maybe even the low side port's o-ring) so whenever the AC was turned on, the low side (remember, that is the suction side of the system) begins to draw and since there had been a refrigerant leak somewhere, i'd bet that the suction line simply pulls in AIR through the damaged/compromised leaking area.
Use a UV light and you should find the leak source

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromech View Post
Refrigerant level was so low that AC clutch could not engage. I hooked my AC recharge kit and added one can of 134a. I did that every other season and so far AC was functioning. This time - after adding 134a, AC clutch is engaging OK, kit pressure gauge reads OK pressure.
But still - no cold air produced..... HOT Chicago summer what can be done ?
How much was spent over the years? Since you know this system leaked, an inexpensive uv light and time spent searching for the elusive leak could have revealed where it occurred then determine what's needed to repair it once, permanently to restore factory cooling without refilling every year. Even the service valves leak after so many years of repeated use. HINT: if service valves bubble up then the valves are leaking and maybe the main source of at least one leak. Caps will not seal against leaks by themselves. Since you have no idea why cooling didn't return, you also have no idea how much refrigerant leaked - all of it, most of it, to conclude no cooling this time. If I recall correctly, 24 ozs or 1 & 1/2 lbs of r134a is required. There are no gauges to tell anyone how much was lost or how much to fill. Expertise in vehicle refrigeration can determine it but only when refrigeration gauges are used and for the S-series, 2k rpm while monitoring pressures and ambient temperatures/humidity.

BTW, if you use refrigeration gauges, unless you're aware, anyone unfamiliar with proper operation of gauges may introduce air and moisture into a system as soon as hoses are connected. Every hose and gauge set are open to the atmosphere so connecting hoses and gauges automatically becomes pressurized (presuming some refrigerant is still in a system). As soon as ac is turned on, compressor running, air and moisture are immediately drawn into the system from gauges/hoses unless they're purged before ac is turned on. Purging lines and gauges are part of advanced refrigeration procedures otherwise contaminating a system with air and moisture will occur.

Last edited by fdryer; 07-15-2018 at 11:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote