SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
nwhipkey2
nwhipkey2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default High Idle/Low Efficiency Codes

I recently have swapped a dohc in my 98 sl1, and have been trying to work out all the kinks to get the car ready for an e-check. The donor motor has 160k but runs strong besides a few minor hiccups. The car will run perfectly fine except for in idle, where it jumps to 1800-1900 rpm when put in neutral, and shows no sign of going down, even after 30+ minutes of running. The codes that the computer is providing are P0507 (idle), P0420 (cat sensor?), and P0134 (sensor again?).

I have already replaced the egr and tried to get the idle to drop or at least vary by spraying brake cleaner around the intake manifold as well as restricting the throttle body with my hand. The actual throttle plate sticks a bit and I will have to remove and clean to make sure that it isn't the issue. If it isn't, would it likely be a faulty IACV or something else?

As for the other 2 codes, I have not yet replaced the piping after the cat and suspect that due to no resonator the gases are getting restricted and throwing off the 02 sensor. I have already purchased the resonator as I figured it would be required for the swap but just wanted to get the vehicle home. If there is likely some other reason that I'm unaware of please comment, as I just wish to get this thing crisp and clean for its inspection. Thanks for the input!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nwhipkey2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nwhipkey2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nwhipkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
nwhipkey2

1998 SL2
Default Re: High Idle/Low Efficiency Codes

Idle caused by intake manifold gasket, as for the low efficiency codes for bank 1 02 sensors, I will not know if they are resolved until after changing the gasket. If anyone knows anything about these codes and could give insight I would greatly appreciate the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nwhipkey2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

P0134 is no activity from front sensor. It is either not connected correctly or bad. I'd fix that before worrying about the P0420 code, since a working front sensor is likely required for the cat efficiency check to work right.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #4
nwhipkey2

1998 SL2

Finally got the idle to drop down to about 900-1000 which feels much nicer now, although I think that once I replace the throttle body vacuum line it might drop another 50-100, but don't know for sure. SES and SE lights still on, will have to check if the idle code persisted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
nwhipkey2

1998 SL2

Can't get a single code to show on any OBDII reader, but SE light is still on. I haven't been able to drive it more than about 10 minutes at a time since the codes have gone away, so is this most likely just a check that will automatically turn off when the PCM believes the problem has been fixed for long enough?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check for a blown 10 amp BODY fuse. Examine the OBD II ports wiring. Pin-16 is power to the port while the other three wires are signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm dlc.jpg (176.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pwer.jpg (131.2 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote