SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
GM1989
GM1989 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 L300 steering shaft coupler

My wife's 2003 L300, with only 83000 km, doesn't get driven a whole lot as you can see from the mileage, but it needs a steering shaft coupler! My mechanic says it can't be greased to alleviate the moaning and groaning and somewhat stiff steering and that his calls to local dealers and online searches for a new or even used wreckers part have been fruitless! Apparently this part is near impossible to locate! One local parts guy came up with a company called Darman, that lists a part number, 425-101, but it no longer carried the part. I live in the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada and regularly travel across the border to shop, but even local U.S businesses can't locate this part. So, can anyone offer me any assistance locating the part?
Many thanks to anyone able to offer help and advice.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM1989's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM1989 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 L300 steering shaft coupler

A wrecking yard will usually not separate a part like that but would probably sell the whole steering column. Any You pull it parts yards near where you live? That would probably be your best bet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1989 View Post
My wife's 2003 L300, with only 83000 km, doesn't get driven a whole lot as you can see from the mileage, but it needs a steering shaft coupler! My mechanic says it can't be greased to alleviate the moaning and groaning and somewhat stiff steering and that his calls to local dealers and online searches for a new or even used wreckers part have been fruitless! Apparently this part is near impossible to locate! One local parts guy came up with a company called Darman, that lists a part number, 425-101, but it no longer carried the part. I live in the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada and regularly travel across the border to shop, but even local U.S businesses can't locate this part. So, can anyone offer me any assistance locating the part?
Many thanks to anyone able to offer help and advice.
Thanks
Your mechanic is not a very good mechanic. The coupler has a pinch bolt that holds it on. Take that pinch bolt off, pull shaft out, grease splines of shaft and reinstall. I used to have to do this to my wife's 2002 every couple years. Her 2003 has not needed it yet tho it's not hard once it does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Due to liability issues lots of shops replace parts rather than repair them. I understand why however I will repair just about anything if I can get the parts. The shaft in question has a universal joint at each end and plastic coated splines that are part of the energy absorbing part of the steering column. The moaning could be a bad or stiff u-joint or the splines need some lube as mentioned above. Low use and salty environment may have affected the rack mounting and or the front cradle on your car. Before condemming the small shaft as the source of the noise I would have a complete inspection of the cradle and rack mountings.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car, now if I can only quit hitting deer. I have hit two this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
...Before condemming the small shaft as the source of the noise I would have a complete inspection of the cradle and rack mountings.
Agreed. It is always wisest to verify the condition of all components within the steering system which could influence the noise about which the OP is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
...The coupler has a pinch bolt that holds it on. Take that pinch bolt off, pull shaft out, grease splines of shaft and reinstall. I used to have to do this to my wife's 2002 every couple years. Her 2003 has not needed it yet tho it's not hard once it does.
True - one can lubricate the splines referred to here. It's not a major job, but one should have a manual available for reference' sake whether as a hard copy or online from http://alldatadiy.com/. Let us know if you need more help.

As for the new aftermarket replacement part by Dorman, p/n 425-101, there are still some sources which claim to have it on hand although Dorman's website states it's not available. If you really need that item, would this online seller be useful to you?

http://candidautoparts.com/Product/D...6-5BD341F20887

290,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-15-2018 at 03:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote