SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default 2006 3.5 AWD VUE CEL Error codes: 0036 and 0141

My son alerted me to a check engine light in our 2006 VUE. My code reader says 0036 and 0141. Google says these refer to HO2S Heater control circuit and O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. I think this is the more difficult one to reach and replace. Can anyone clarify this for me, and could you offer alternative steps to narrow down whether we really need to replace the sensor, or are there easier things that I could check first? Thanks for your help!

John C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshjani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 3.5 AWD VUE CEL Error codes: 0036 and 0141

Both error codes point to the same O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1. Bank 1 are cylinders 1, 3, and 5 which are the closest to the front of the dash The best you can do is try a manual reset the see if the error code reappears. If it comes back, check wiring and connection. Last is replacement as the heater is internal to the sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Yes the bank 1 sensor 2 is the lower rear bank sensor. little heat with small torch may help removing without stripping the threads out of the Cat.

FD note bank 1 includes cylinder 1,2,3 for the 2006 3.5L Honda engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Could I get some help with the location of this sensor? Drawings from Autozone did not help...I cannot seem to trace the electrical connector. I THINK I have the correct sensor- it's roughly right in the middle, under the engine. Mine has an orange cable wrap, but I can't for the life of me see it from the top. I'm pretty sure I need to remove the electrical first, so once I start removing the sensor, it wont get all twisted up- right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using rockauto.com for images, your two exhaust catcons are vertically mounted with the precat/upstream O2 sensor on top and the post cat downstream sensor on the bottom. The bottom O2 sensor is most likely accessed under the car. And yes, disconnect wiring first. Wiring may be clamped in places with the plugs hidden but if you examine the length of wiring to the replacement sensor, you can find the connector tucked away. You may need the special O2 sensor socket (Autozone loaner) if a regular adjustable wrench won't fit in a confined area. It's suggested to have the engine warmed up a little to allow easier sensor removal. Anti seize is used but after years of normal use, sensors can corrode, making it a little difficult to loosen. New sensors should have anti seize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catcon-1.jpg (44.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg catcon-2.jpg (42.7 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Thanks...I don't know how I missed those images at RockAuto, since that's where I got the part! Anyway- it helped me out a lot, and I was able to get the sensor changed.

I bought an NTK sensor, and the sensor wrench that has the slot for the wires. I had a pretty hard time tracing the lead to its connector- I had to crawl all the way on top of the engine, so I was effectively kneeling on top of it, so I could reach down and follow the orange wire. I sprayed some PB blaster on the old sensor, had a bit of a time getting the wrench on, but then with one decent turn of the wrench it loosened right up and I turned it out by hand.

New sensor went in really easily, but again I had a had a hard time routing the cable back to its connector. Trying to get two hands in the space to connect the wire was tough, so I pretty much just did it by feel with one hand.

One moment of despair when the engine light was still on, reporting the same codes on my reader, but once I reset and erased the codes, all seems well.

So once again, thanks for the help- saved me probably a couple hundred bucks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!