SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
odiaz1831
odiaz1831 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Input Shaft Nut

Guessing getting a replacement is pretty much impossible now? Saw one guy on ebay asking around 150 for it...Heard you can reused the same one and tighten to 132lbs? Using scotchweld threadlocker? Also would you recommend doing valvebody replacement or input shaft nut tightening first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to odiaz1831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
odiaz1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
red92xblue
red92xblue is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2001 SC2
Default Re: Input Shaft Nut

I used red thread locker loctite and reused the same nut. That was 70k miles ago on a rebuilt trans. I read that the valve body goes bad (Banging) causing the nut to come loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red92xblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red92xblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red92xblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92xblue View Post
I used red thread locker loctite and reused the same nut. That was 70k miles ago on a rebuilt trans. I read that the valve body goes bad (Banging) causing the nut to come loose.
Yah, kinda worried about being able to reuse it though. My SIL got this car 90k miles doing the reverse slam. Handed it over to me with 136k on the dash still doing the reverse slam... They didnt even attempt to fix it. So not sure the quality of that nut at this point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I feel like a machinist could make a batch somewhere, someway. These aren't high tech things here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I wouldn't be opposed to making a small run of these given enough demand. We've all discussed this before and there was no interest to this point.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is a standard aircraft part. All you need to start finding them is the diameter and pitch so it can be looked up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is a standard aircraft part. All you need to start finding them is the diameter and pitch so it can be looked up.
It's not metric?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to making a small run of these given enough demand. We've all discussed this before and there was no interest to this point.
I know I'd get one, but id only need one or two at most. Kinda ballpark question here now, who can make an aluminum intake manifold to replace the plastic one on the Saturn 🤔

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

That's a huge block of aluminum to CNC mill down to make just one,let alone cast one.
Pick n pull is your best bet, decent ones are there for the picking.

OR, repair it (watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ztwi8Tao

Last edited by toggenburg; 07-10-2018 at 11:49 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is a steel nut, probably forged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
It's not metric?

yes, it is metric.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Just to clarify, I was responding to odiaz1831's request about an aluminum intake manifold replacement, not the input nut thread

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Anyone have pictures and dimensions of the nut? Currently emailing a machining company by my house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

[QUOTE=toggenburg;2277262]That's a huge block of aluminum to CNC mill down to make just one,let alone cast one.
Pick n pull is your best bet, decent ones are there for the picking.

OR, repair it (watch)]

Haha yeah I know about thag fix, luckily mine is still in good condition. Was just wondering about a full metal intake seeing as there's a metal.replacement for the water spout.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
yes, it is metric.
All aircraft hardware in the States is standard. For my airplane projects I've bought from Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, Genuine Aircraft Hardware, and eBay. The two airframers I've worked for, Sikorsky and Schweizer, used only standard aircraft hardware.

One of the problems with buying a foreign aircraft is they do use metric hardware. I used to own a Czechoslovakian glider. Very hard to source metric aircraft hardware.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a US company that probably has them. To find out I needed the thread diameter and pitch and it seems no one could be bothered so I dropped it. Saturn found them somewhere ... They are not cheap either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz1831 View Post
Guessing getting a replacement is pretty much impossible now? Saw one guy on ebay asking around 150 for it...Heard you can reused the same one and tighten to 132lbs? Using scotchweld threadlocker? Also would you recommend doing valvebody replacement or input shaft nut tightening first?
It depends on the symptoms of the transmission, whether you should need to tighten the input shaft nut. And you can do MORE damage by messing with this and not using the proper tools for holding the clutch pack in place or by bending the two metal tubes on the side cover.

Reverse Slam/Delayed Reverse are symptoms of a worn boost pressure valve bore. Reverse requires the highest line pressure to engage the clutch. The internal leakage, from the bore being worn, causes the line pressure solenoid to try and correct it(hence the delay and slam, when the line pressure suddenly spikes).

A loose input shaft nut will cause slamming in ALL gears, as the line pressure solenoid is pretty much done by the time the nut starts getting knocked loose. It will cause a loss of reverse, until you rev to about 4k rpms, and a P0732 code for No Second Gear(Reverse is on the same clutch as 2nd Gear).

It is a TTY nut, or Torque-To-Yield, which is why you are not supposed to reuse them. The torqueing process causes the threads of the nut to "stretch", as a way to prevent them from loosening themselves by centrifugal forces of rotating within the transmission. It actually does cause damage, which is why they need thread locker when being reused.

Don't mess with it, if you don't have to. Start with the valve body.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
There is a US company that probably has them. To find out I needed the thread diameter and pitch and it seems no one could be bothered so I dropped it. Saturn found them somewhere ... They are not cheap either.

This is what I was attempting to get too, I think I'm just going to run to the salvage yard and remove one to get the dimensions. Don't wanna run my tranny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
It depends on the symptoms of the transmission, whether you should need to tighten the input shaft nut. And you can do MORE damage by messing with this and not using the proper tools for holding the clutch pack in place or by bending the two metal tubes on the side cover.

Reverse Slam/Delayed Reverse are symptoms of a worn boost pressure valve bore. Reverse requires the highest line pressure to engage the clutch. The internal leakage, from the bore being worn, causes the line pressure solenoid to try and correct it(hence the delay and slam, when the line pressure suddenly spikes).

A loose input shaft nut will cause slamming in ALL gears, as the line pressure solenoid is pretty much done by the time the nut starts getting knocked loose. It will cause a loss of reverse, until you rev to about 4k rpms, and a P0732 code for No Second Gear(Reverse is on the same clutch as 2nd Gear).

It is a TTY nut, or Torque-To-Yield, which is why you are not supposed to reuse them. The torqueing process causes the threads of the nut to "stretch", as a way to prevent them from loosening themselves by centrifugal forces of rotating within the transmission. It actually does cause damage, which is why they need thread locker when being reused.

Don't mess with it, if you don't have to. Start with the valve body.
Thanks man this is why I love this forum. All this information to absorb. This is exactly what I needed to hear, don't want to go around messing things up I don't have to. Besides bending the tubes when removing the clutch plate (I think that's the name) and the holding the clutch still, is there anything else major I need to be extra cautious about? Any bolts specifically that tend to get nice and rusted tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The nut is not Torque-to-Yield it is a prevailing torque design nut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!