SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Mouse nest in HVAC blower

How do you get mouse urine smell out of the HVAC system?

I threw a battery into my project 96 SL2 that has been stored for 2 years and started it up and discovered that mice had nested in the HVAC blower.

I removed removed the dash top, opened the recirc door and also dropped the HVAC blower out the bottom in effort to clean out the nest from above and below.

I shop vacuumed the as far as I could reach into the heater box, blew compressed air, shop vac'd again and wiped down everywhere I could get my hands into using cleaner. I followed this up by spraying air freshener/deodorizer through the HVAC air intake under the hood. I replaced and resealed the air intake screen under the hood.

I still have a mouse urine smell coming through the vents. It's not as bad as it was but still present. Any low cost ideas?

I'm going to try Zep Odor Elimator next through the air intake. I'd like to try Ozium but it is not readily available to me. Ozone treatment is a bit too spendy for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (213.6 KB, 50 views)

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Mouse nest in HVAC blower

If you'd like, I suggest a low cost solution - baking soda. I sprinkled it all over the large cavity in my intake air system to the hvac box two years ago, running the blower on high. I had to try regular and recirculate selections to have powder sucked into the heater and evap coils before blowing out all the vents to distribute it. It was a few days of inhaling some baking soda but it wasn't enough to cause health problems. No more stinky odors. Turned on ac this year and no stink. I used about half a box. Whether or not it helps absorbs urine oils remains to be tested.

Spraying bleach may help but you'd have to ensure it soaks into wherever urine is sprayed and then have to air out the interior until bleach dries out. A warm sunny day with doors open, blower going and idling the engine should help dry out bleach before driving. What you don't know is if urine got into the ducting towards the hvac box and into the heater and evaporator coils to prolong the stink. Some experimenting may be needed to get rid of alll the urine smells.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I imagine I could just remove the dash top, open the recirc door (as pictured with nest) and pour the baking soda into the squirrel cage and then turn it on.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

You can try the odor eliminator or the baking soda. It would likely work better to pull the blower to do so. A bacterial type cleaner may work over time to actually rid it more.

Avoid the bleach for this purpose.

I would certainly spray a disinfectant onto the blower/box. The odor is bad but it would not be my initial concern.

Last edited by Cheyne; 06-25-2018 at 01:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

https://www.hunker.com/12002572/how-...mell-from-mice

Mouse urine in similar to feline urine. It is a pH of a base, or above 7.0. It can be neutralized with a solution of vinegar and water, as the vinegar is a mild acid, or pH under 7.0.

Use the solution to clean the HVAC system out and the impeller to the blower motor assembly.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

trottida, if you can remove the blower, do so. This will make it easier to clean the squirrel cage completely of any urine absorbed into dirt. And with a hole in ducting, you might be able to wash off as much dirt off as far as you can reach or poke a rag into ducting to remove as much collected 'ambience' occurring over the years. Even soaking a warm water solution of copious amounts of dissolved baking soda can help. The residue simply coats whatever was wiped. Wiping as much collected dirt from ducting can go a long way towards deodorizing. What can't be wiped clean - heater/evap coils and hvac box interior but forced air blowing thru and feeding dry baking soda powder can help distribute it to absorb whatever coated them over the years. It would be great if every hvac box had an access panel so anyone that wanted to can spray cleaner directly onto both coils and let it drain out. Unfortunately, there may be some exercising more exuberance resulting in damaging one or both coils......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
trottida, if you can remove the blower, do so. This will make it easier to clean the squirrel cage completely of any urine absorbed into dirt. And with a hole in ducting, you might be able to wash off as much dirt off as far as you can reach or poke a rag into ducting to remove as much collected 'ambience' occurring over the years. Even soaking a warm water solution of copious amounts of dissolved baking soda can help. The residue simply coats whatever was wiped. Wiping as much collected dirt from ducting can go a long way towards deodorizing. What can't be wiped clean - heater/evap coils and hvac box interior but forced air blowing thru and feeding dry baking soda powder can help distribute it to absorb whatever coated them over the years. It would be great if every hvac box had an access panel so anyone that wanted to can spray cleaner directly onto both coils and let it drain out. Unfortunately, there may be some exercising more exuberance resulting in damaging one or both coils......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Use the solution to clean the HVAC system out and the impeller to the blower motor assembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
You can try the odor eliminator or the baking soda. It would likely work better to pull the blower to do so. A bacterial type cleaner may work over time to actually rid it more.

Avoid the bleach for this purpose.

I would certainly spray a disinfectant onto the blower/box. The odor is bad but it would not be my initial concern.
Yes, as mentioned, I did remove and clean the blower squirrel cage as well as sanitize the blower box to the furthest point I could reach with my hands. I actually swapped out the blower assembly with one from my parts car. I thoroughly cleaned that one as well.

The ZEP product seems to work well but I'll have to give it some time to see if lasts. I just sprayed it through the air intake under the hood. I may remove the dash again and using a sifter drop some baking soda into the squirrel cage while it's running. I'm pretty confident I removed all the nesting material.

Cheyne .... are you thinking a Lysol disinfectant spray or something to that affect? Something that is atomized and will flow through with the movement of air?

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 06-26-2018 at 08:43 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Cheyne .... are you thinking a Lysol disinfectant spray or something to that affect? Something that is atomized and will flow through with the movement of air?
Yes, that will work if you pull the blower and spray the surfaces until wet and then allow to air dry. Surface disinfectants need to wet the surface as will be stated on the instructions. Simply atomizing doesn't do it. I also never liked the idea of spraying flammable aerosols, both the Lysol and Zep product, into the air intake while the vehicle/blower are operating. Ozium is also, but it is a glycolized air sanitizer and not a surface disinfectant. If operating the vehicle's blower to disperse and wet surfaces, I would use a liquid product to spray it through the intake. Not sure the blower motor would like it though. Pulling the blower would simply be the safest option with the best wetting and contact time.

Bleach and vinegar both have disinfecting properties. Vinegar if you don't mind the odor. I would avoid the bleach if urine is still present but otherwise it would be fine.

If you believe they traveled the ductwork, you could also spray some into the vents and then allow to air dry. Baking soda, as mentioned above, will also help to absorb remaining odors.

Last edited by Cheyne; 06-26-2018 at 09:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Cheyne

2000 SL2

There are liquid disinfectants like mentioned that can likely be picked up at your local store. They wouldn't risk the possibility of bleaching the carpets or having the odor of vinegar.

https://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Disinfe...d+disinfectant

If pulling the blower, I would just use the aerosol in air box and vents. You could also follow the disinfectant with an enzymatic cleaner that would help to break down any organic matter that may have been left.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Removing the blower assembly and accessing through the recirc door ..... it seems I would need something that sprays upside down or even better has a flexible tube and a 360 degree spray pattern that I can snake through the system.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Cheyne

2000 SL2

I wouldn't make it too difficult on yourself. You can spray whatever you can reach, through the blower, intake and vents. Clean the blower assembly. From there and having given time for it to dry, fdryer's recommendation of baking soda may help in the rest of the system. If you decide on it, just don't overdo it. Think very light dusting and not dumping.

Let the blower run a while on fresh intake while lightly sprinkling some in. Leave the windows open while doing it, let the blower clear the ducts, and don't sit in the vehicle. Let it settle out and vacuum up. You could also put a couple of socks with baking soda under the seat to help.

The odor will dissipate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
Cheyne

2000 SL2

If this were my vehicle, I would spray the places mentioned. The mist will carry and wet further than you would imagine and may pretty much wet all of it. My point was about how to spray. "Atomization" as you mentioned may be thought as short burst sprays like in a air freshener. You want to spray enough for the particle sizes to carry and wet downstream and then give time to air dry. I would then put some baking soda under the seats.

What I like about fdryer's baking soda idea is its ability to coat/dry and absorb odors of some of the urine that may be in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

The Magliozzi Brothers (NPR'' s Click and Clack of Car Talk fame) method --

A can of gas and a match??

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 PM   #14
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I deal with pet urine a lot, elderly cat...

A carpet cleaner with urine neutralizer works wonders.

Woolite, Stainmaster, etc...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainmast...3=3831&veh=sem

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote