SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
bobl61
bobl61 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default Shuddering and shaking oh my

Hey Guys,
So this all started with A/C problems. Air was cold when driving, but luke warm at idle. Took it to the shop and they did a purge and recharge. Was still having the same issue and a guy at work suggested changing the coolant. Didn't make much sense to me, but had just turned over 100,000 so I figured I should change it anyway. That's when the big problem started. Under 45 MPH she runs okay. Over 45 it starts shuddering. Pick it up to 55 or so and it becomes a lot less. Over 65 it gets worse again. Had the same exact issue a few years ago and it was a fuel injector. Stuck the scanner in and reported a misfire cylinder 5. Not sure if it was the same cylinder as last time, but there was no way I was paying another $600 to replace 1 injector. Picked up 6 and put them in myself. Still having the same issue. Replaced all 6 spark plugs. No joy. Just can't figure it out. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobl61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobl61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Shuddering and shaking oh my

I'm still puzzled the NY Giants didn't change to NJ Giants....... My guess is the tri state area fans aren't angry when the Giants moved out of NY.

Your post is full of info. The problem may be trying to determine if this is one or several issues occurring because each symptom usually has its own solution(s) with some symptoms having something in common. Your descriptions seem to be about several issues.

1-AC is not a priority (except in hot and humid weather) and addressed as a separate issue from everything else. To have some background info, if your ac uses a scroll compressor, members have found the answer; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521. There are three types of compressors in use; piston, vane and scroll. My guess is the repair shop took your money without any guarantee and possibly do not know about scroll compressor issues. Ford uses the same compressors and have the same issues with one solution, replacing the scroll control valve. There are too many dishonest repair shops happy to take money from unsuspecting cr owners.

2-Descriptions of erratic engine running can be due to a list of possibilities; low fuel pressure, clogged fuel filter, intermittent crank sensor, loose wiring connections between ecm and sensors, chafed wiring that may create an intermittent issue, dirty throttle body, clogged air filter.

If you changed all injectors then you can examine the easy things for dirt and what can use cleaning. I'm not familiar with Vues but all drive by wire systems use an electric/electronic throttle, electronic pedal and engine computer; press pedal to send signals to the ecm and the ecm commands throttle plate opening. You can test this out by turning on ignition and have someone exercise the gas pedal while you observe the throttle plate opening and closing according to pedal position. My L300 has a built in program to calibrate throttle by leaving ignition on, engine off - after 30 seconds of inactivity, the ecm goes into a program to exercise throttle plate positions then resets to startup position, all occurring in less than a minute. Cycling ignition off and restarting completes throttle calibration. Whether yours has this feature isn't known, at least by me. Repairpal.com or members may answer a query.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
bobl61

2007 VUE Red Line

Yeah, guessing it could be one of several things. Did clean the throttle body and the air cleaner. Fuel filter is built in to the tank (thanks GM). Gonna try a can of Seafoam. If that doesn't help then I guess I'll have to take it to the shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobl61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Avnav8r
Avnav8r has a spectacular aura aboutAvnav8r has a spectacular aura aboutAvnav8r has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 2.2L

Hey,

I had similar problems with my 03 Vue 2.2L and replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter, ICM and nothing really worked. I went down to my local Pick Your Part and pulled a coil pack off another 03 Vue (for a total of $23). I replaced my original and it started running like it should.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Avnav8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Avnav8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Avnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
bobl61

2007 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnav8r View Post
Hey,

I had similar problems with my 03 Vue 2.2L and replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter, ICM and nothing really worked. I went down to my local Pick Your Part and pulled a coil pack off another 03 Vue (for a total of $23). I replaced my original and it started running like it should.
I replaced all the coils when I changed the plugs less than 2 years ago. Not saying one of 'em couldn't have gone bad. Just broke down on the way home from work. Car was dumping gas all over the place. Checked under the hood and didn't see anything leaking. Looks like it was coming from underneath. If it wasn't for bad luck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Gas leaking out may be the heart of the problem when considering fuel must be pressurized and injected for a precise amount per injection cycle. Losing fuel pressure from any leak lowers pressure to end up with the engine computer attempting to adjust for less fuel injected per injection cycle. Lose a lot of pressure and the EFI system can't cope.

Engine problems aside, a fuel leak is serious and shouldn't be overlooked. Either get the car up off the ground and begin a search for the source of this leak or if its safe, bring it to a dealer or repair shop. Safety demands a thoughtful approach of any fuel leak; anytime the ignition switch is turned on, fuel pump operation pressurizes the fuel lines for two seconds, shuts off but leaves pressures at operating levels for many minutes. Any compromise in fuel lines from pump discharge port to fuel rails will release fuel immediately under pressure until pressure drops. Starting simply allows constant fuel pressure to leak out continuously whether as a tiny drip or more. There's a way to pressurize the fuel system to help locate damage but I hesitate to suggest it unless all precautions are considered and in place to safeguard searching for the leak while minimizing chances of a fire or explosion from fuel vapors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Your signature mentions 2007 with a 3.6L which didn't come out until 2008. Perhaps you installed the wrong parts? The a/c problem is most likely the control valve in the compressor. $20 in parts and maybe 1-2 hours time plus recharging the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobl61 View Post
...... Just broke down on the way home from work. Car was dumping gas all over the place. Checked under the hood and didn't see anything leaking. Looks like it was coming from underneath. If it wasn't for bad luck...
You're apparently not alone. Lexus is having the same difficulty - Lexus Recalls More Than 120,000 Cars Over Engine Fuel Leaks That May Cause Fires; https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...486590081.html

Toyota's Lexus luxury brand is recalling about 121,000 cars worldwide, mainly in the United States, because of fuel leaks in the engine that can cause fires.

The recall covers certain 2006 through 2013 IS350 cars, as well as the 2010 through 2014 IS350C, and the 2007 through 2011 GS350 and GS450h. All have 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engines.

Toyota says a diaphragm material in the fuel injection system can harden over time and crack, allowing fuel to leak. The company did not say if the problem has caused any fires, crashes or injuries.

Dealers will replace the fuel delivery pipe with a new one containing improved parts at no cost to customers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My bad as I did not mean to imply the recall of Lexus' is the same as your fuel leak. A factory issue with original seals are failing in Lexus'. Your Vue most likely has a leak from line damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
bobl61

2007 VUE Red Line

Turns out there was a problem with the rear fuel rail which caused the gas leak. As for the shuddering, Avnav8r was right, it actually was a coil gone bad. Local shop fixed everything for a little over $300, so no complaints. Found out about the A/C problem. 2 different shops verified it's the compressor. 2 quotes, one for $770 and one for $850. Never tackled a compressor before. Saw one video where a guy was able to remove it from underneath by jacking up the frame. Is this something worth trying, or should I leave it to the pros?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

AC repairs are unforgiving of mistakes. Removing and replacing damaged parts is relatively easy but the advanced part requires gauges, vacuum pump and knowledge of refrigeration repairs. Separating parts replacement from final repairs can save several hundred dollars. Repair costs are negotiable no matter what anyone says. NYC area repair shops may charge outrageous prices with all the business traffic from failed ac systems while a small town will have the best and lowest prices because an honest shop makes money over time and builds trust in a community for generations. And the opposite is true.

Your choices are; a)verify the scroll valve is leaking refrigerant, oil, and dye and replace it yourself and complete ac repairs or after replacing the valve, turn to a repair shop to complete repairs (evacuate and recharge the system with refrigerant), b)have all repairs done thru a shop. The former saves several hundred dollars, the latter is what you were given estimates of repair.

I mentioned a link in the 2nd post about scroll control valve failures. It's on the rear of compressors and a tell tale sign may be refrigerant oil and dye running along the bottom of the compressor. The compressor is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. The scroll valve fails and creates the low cooling problem at idle yet makes cold air at speed. The valve and miscellaneous parts are $50 and an hour or so of your time (refrigerant can be removed legally by any ac repair shop). AC repairs are high in profits for all repair shops and most may not be aware of or ignore scroll control valve issues. Ford uses the same compressors so its a well known problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
bobl61

2007 VUE Red Line

Decided not to fool around with the compressor. Ordered a new one (with the kit) and having my local shop put it in. As fdryer mentioned "AC repairs are unforgiving of mistakes." Not worth it for me to attempt replacing the scroll valve and finding out it's not the problem. The compressor is over 11 years old and most likely it's on it's way out. Thanks again for all the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Three out of three Vues I've had with symptoms you mentioned I've fixed by replacing the control valve in an hour or two for $25 in parts and freon. All were at least 11 years old and over 190,000 miles. Hope you bought an AC Delco replacement compressor because if you got an aftermarket made in China model, you'll probably be doing this again in a year or two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote