SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Hackettbr1
Hackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura about

Default 08 aura xe p0171 and p0174

08 aura xe 3.5l
I got a check engine light last week and it was p0171 and p0174, cant figure out what's causing it. I know they're o2 sensor codes, but the odds of both of them going out at once is substantially small. I've looked for leaks and cleaned the maf sensor to no avail, any suggestions?

08 aura 3.5l xe 105k
97 Sl1 120k -Deceased

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hackettbr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hackettbr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hackettbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 08 aura xe p0171 and p0174

Each error code points to a lean fuel mixture so the EFI system is saying the engine is running leaner than normal. One bank of cylinders running lean would suggest one thing while both banks running lean suggests something else. Both cylinder banks suggests something in common - main intake air leak, low fuel pressure, faulty maf sensor, etc.. Cleaning a maf sensor is ok but wont indicate whether or not its faulty. At the least, are all EFI connections secured (maf sensor, electric throttle body)? An OBD II reader can help. One way is to display maf data, measured in volume of air per second. While its rare for maf sensors to fail, one member did have a faulty one in another forum but it was only determined faulty by comparing baseline info to the suspect one. This requires prior knowledge of maf sensor data at idle to compare with a possible faulty one.

Was the fuel filter replaced? Most recommendations are for 100k mile replacement intervals. Are there any mods not mentioned?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
Hackettbr1
Hackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura about

Ido not know if the fuel filter has been replaced, I got the car in February to be completely honest, and there has been no modifications to the car since I got it, though I doubt a rental company would modify it. I do plan on getting the filter changed when I change my oil next month, seeing how I'm going to be under the car anyways, though how would one read the maf flow? would you need a specialized obd II scanner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hackettbr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

The Fuel filter is built onto the fuel pump and is good for the life of the pump.

The codes are not specific to O2 sensors...they are just reading there is more O2 than expected.

Things to check would be:
Air filter housing
Air filter tube/intake inlet tube
Intake Manifold
Mass air flow meter/sensor

Check for anything that could cause a vacuum leak, the engine is pulling in air somewhere.

The screens on the injectors can get clogged and cause this as well...run some injector cleaner if you've checked everything else.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My bad as I assumed a separate fuel filter most vehicles have that are replaceable.

I do not assume a maf sensor is faulty and the only way to verify it operating correctly is by way of OBD II reader/scan tool. Neither cheap nor expensive reader ate needed, just one that can display live data of most sensors. As mentioned previously, I knew maf sensors can fail but without a way to know how to test it leaves anyone without a clue. I used my scantool to display sensors, recorded them at cold startup, warm idle and at any random speed. These values, on a good running engine without any error codes, became my baseline database. Maf sensors measures air volume. Mine displays this as grams per second. It became valuable when another member suspected his maf sensor but did not have any baseline data to compare to. Because he understood sensor data, all we had to do was compare data and convert his data (his reader measured in another value, lbs per minute). Once his data was converted to compare to mine (we both have the same car and engine) it was clear his maf sensor was outputting incorrect signals. The signals are voltages converted as air volume per minute or per second for reader display. It would be more difficult to measure voltage signals since they're operating between 0.1v-4.9v and a good digital multimeter is needed to measure low voltages. My guess is if a signal voltage is off by a tenth of a volt, there might be gross misinterpretations. Even a few millivolts off in measurement may be misinterpreted so using the engine computer conversion of signals to real world airflow as so many cubic feet per minute or other recognizable terms is easier. Replacing the maf sensor fixed the problem. This is the only thread that uncovered a faulty maf sensor and was found only because of baseline data, similar cars/engine and two readers to compare notes. It may be difficult to find baseline data for any car with EFI. Please do not count on a faulty maf sensor until data is logged and posted. Engines of different displacement will mean maf sensor data will be slightly different but a range can be presumed based on known facts (engine displacement, volume of air expected at idle rpm, etc).

And as mentioned, other easier things can be checked while trying to find a reader capable of displaying data. One reasonable reader may be a Bluetooth adapter and a Torque app. Priced at less than $50 and any cellphone becomes a reader.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

I have the bluetooth dongle and have tried the torque app and found the data it can read to be quite limited...I now have an easydiag 2.0 and it reads data from every module in the car and graphs live data...
https://launchtechusa.com/easydiag2plus/
version 3.0 has been just released...

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Hackettbr1

I figured it out, some cotton from the trees outside somehow made it into the air intake pipes, cleaned it out and the codes went away...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!