SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1
Default Transmission Clunking Between Gears

95 Saturn SL1, Manual Transmission

When the clutch is pressed in and I move from one gear to the next I hear a loud clunk. It's not difficult to get into gear nor does there appear to be any impact on how it drives in gear. If I put it into gear gently it doesn't always clunk but when I let out the clutch it does. if the car is off or I'm sitting at a stop sign or a light it does not clunk into gear so it seems as though I have to be moving. it sounds similar to what I would expect from a ball joint or strut.

I have replaced all of the mounts as well as recently doing new control arms and tie rod ends.

I'm worried it may have something to do with the differential pin but I'm not sure.

Mason in Florida
1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5Spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kimohands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kimohands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kimohands is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: Transmission Clunking Between Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimohands View Post
95 Saturn SL1, Manual Transmission

When the clutch is pressed in and I move from one gear to the next I hear a loud clunk. It's not difficult to get into gear nor does there appear to be any impact on how it drives in gear. If I put it into gear gently it doesn't always clunk but when I let out the clutch it does. if the car is off or I'm sitting at a stop sign or a light it does not clunk into gear so it seems as though I have to be moving. it sounds similar to what I would expect from a ball joint or strut.

I have replaced all of the mounts as well as recently doing new control arms and tie rod ends.

I'm worried it may have something to do with the differential pin but I'm not sure.
Sounds like you are due for a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing.

If the differential pin was coming undone, you should hear some kind of grinding, as it works itself loose until it severs itself and goes flying out the side of the transmission.

Which, with a SOHC, I really don't see the tires being capable of actually spinning at a high enough rate of speed to generate the centrifugal force needed for that to occur.

Your top speed is limited to 108mph, and if you are cornering at that speed, then maybe you'll toast the differential.

Under normal driving, it is not as big of an issue. Welding these pins is usually only some on Saturns used in circle track or autocross racing.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I doubt it is the differential pin. That should be a one big noise event, and then the fun is over. If your clutch was not fully releasing, that could cause it to bang into gear. Check your floor mat and make sure it is not under the pedal.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

The clutch has just under 20,000 miles. However i did burn it up pretty bad the other day, fair amount of smoke. Only time I have ever had trouble getting up a a ramp. I'm not sure how fast you can damage a clutch like that but it does seem plausible at this point.

I guess I'll grab a kit and see what happens.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kimohands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
kimohands

1995 SL1

So i'm not totally convinced its the clutch. I was driving around earlier and noticed a few things.

I push the clutch in
Take it out of gear - POP
Put it in gear - POP
Let off the clutch - POP
Slow down then hit the gas - POP

It sounds like its coming from under the center of the engine to the passenger side.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Have you checked your motor mounts? Perhaps one of them has loosened off and the engine has too much movement. Likely the lower dogbone or the upper motor mount on the passenger side if you're hearing it on that side. I had an instance where the upper motor mount nuts loosened off (from the studs on the timing cover) and caused a clunk noise.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
kimohands

1995 SL1

Mounts are all nice and tight.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
kimohands

1995 SL1

It only happens while the wheels are turning.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
It only happens while the wheels are turning.
You mean when you are moving? Or can you replicate this with the car up in the air by spinning the wheels?

Check the front swaybar for separation?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181022

I've heard a few people say that Florida's humidity with ocean salt can cause rust, though others say their FL cars are rust free

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
kimohands

1995 SL1

While moving i mean.

No, i just replaced my control arms and checked the sway bar. I can feel the clunking in the shifter knob. Like i can feel the gears clicking into place. Thats how i would describe it anyway.

Im wondering if there isn't something internally wrong with the transmission. Im not above replacing it. I already have trouble with my reverse lights not working because the mechanism in the transmission that lifts up an activates the switch doesn't go high enough.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You replaced the clutch but didn't replace the clutch hydraulics? There are several ways to ruin a manual xmission - forcing shifts when gears grind, worn hydraulics that doesn't disengage the clutch completely when shifting gears, and incorrect clutch replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
kimohands

1995 SL1

I've only had the car four years and only put 20k-30k miles on it. It didn't seem like it was well taken care of. I feel like its always been a little clunky but now its inescapable. I replaced the hydraulics with the clutch 3 years ago.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I can feel the clunking in the shifter knob. Like i can feel the gears clicking into place.
That's weird.

The shifter is only connected via the cables so it is surprising you can feel the clunking at the knob.

Maybe take a look at the shift tower where the cables attach to the trans and make sure all the clips are in place, then check under the console under the shifter are loose?

The former is just a visual inspection, the latter is just a few screws since you don't need to completely remove the center console, just up enough to look underneath and see if anything is loose

edit: ^ ^ ^ probably not this, since you said that you can put it in gear but not get the noise until you let the clutch up. So something is making the noise when trans is engaged only.

Any tears / grease in the CV axle boots?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
kimohands

1995 SL1

Just to be clear it pops when moving the shifter in and out of gear without taking my foot off the clutch, the clutch remains fully depressed the entire time.

It does this provided the car is moving.

Additionally it pops when accelerating into gear as i let the clutch out and press the gas.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #15
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Interesting problem.
Quote:
The shifter is only connected via the cables so it is surprising you can feel the clunking at the knob.
I can confirm that when my transmission grinds into third I get quite a buzz at the shift knob. That also has to be through the cables.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I've only had the car four years and only put 20k-30k miles on it. It didn't seem like it was well taken care of. I feel like its always been a little clunky but now its inescapable. I replaced the hydraulics with the clutch 3 years ago.
This info should have been posted in the opening post. With new hydraulics and clutch, unless things went very wrong with replacing these parts, this seems to unfortunately point to the xmission...... Manual xmissions tends to last forever for most divers not abusing them so it's unusual to read about a worn one. In your case, I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be another hydraulic or clutch issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Ok, so it is only when moving and changing gears or letting out the clutch.

Since this involves a shift in lateral acceleration and a shift of the engine and transmission, there are only a few suspects.

You stated the control arms have been replaced. You stated the sway bar is fine. You have stated the transmission/engine mounts are tightened.

This leaves a clutch disc issue or CV shaft issue, and possibly a cracked brake hose causing one of the brake calipers to stick and drag, which would throw off your steering and kill your fuel economy.

Make a video, it you can, and post it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

And an improperly aligned clutch will actually wear out VERY quickly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #19
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
So i'm not totally convinced its the clutch. I was driving around earlier and noticed a few things.

I push the clutch in
Take it out of gear - POP
Put it in gear - POP
Let off the clutch - POP
Slow down then hit the gas - POP

It sounds like its coming from under the center of the engine to the passenger side.
The bolded would lead me to think it's not the clutch and most likely not the transmission. But it's a strange symptom as you describe it, so it might make sense to put the car on stands and see if you can duplicate the popping.

With the wheels not loaded by weight, any clutch or tranny issues should still show up. CV's, axle supports, and anything loose in the suspension system would probably be more likely to show up with the weight and load applied.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #20
kimohands

1995 SL1

So the first video starts with me coasting for about 8 seconds with the clutch petal pushed in the whole time. You can hear the shifter and in the background you can hear a dull popping sound as it manipulates the transmission. It's a lot louder and more noticeable in real life.

The rest of the video im accelerating and you can hear it in between gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUzKJ6NlrVk

The second video is a popping sound that just started 20 minutes ago. Repetitive clicking or popping as i drive. You can hear it best 15 seconds in and at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWjsZFEpHiw

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!