SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
GSmithFL
GSmithFL is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2000 SW2
Default Does my 2000 SW2 have ABS

Our 2000 SW2 has no brake pressure, straight to the floor. AutoZone wants to know if it has AbS. Never noticed any ABS pulsing and I canít test it now.

Can I tell by looking under the hood? There is a silver box behind the battery, but I do not know what that is.

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

1998 SL - 2017 to current

2000 SW2 - 2018 to current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GSmithFL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GSmithFL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GSmithFL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Does my 2000 SW2 have ABS

Yes, you can tell by looking, and that "silver box behind the battery" is a pretty good description of an ABS module. I don't have a picture handy, but somebody else will point you to one if there is still some doubt.

What are your intentions here, are you going to try making this a DIY project? If so, give us some idea of your skills/experience and tools available.

Did this problem come on suddenly, or did the brakes slowly get worse?

With any brake problem, start by checking fluid level in the reservoir and looking under the car, behind each wheel, for fluid leakage.

Does this car have a lot of rust on the under-body? If so, look for leakage all along each brake line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
GSmithFL

1998 SL
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Yes, you can tell by looking, and that "silver box behind the battery" is a pretty good description of an ABS module. I don't have a picture handy, but somebody else will point you to one if there is still some doubt.

What are your intentions here, are you going to try making this a DIY project? If so, give us some idea of your skills/experience and tools available.

Did this problem come on suddenly, or did the brakes slowly get worse?

With any brake problem, start by checking fluid level in the reservoir and looking under the car, behind each wheel, for fluid leakage.

Does this car have a lot of rust on the under-body? If so, look for leakage all along each brake line.
Hey billr, thanks for the quick reply.

My wife came out of work yesterday and immediately the pedal went to the floor. When I got there, I had the same result. Pumping the pedal does nothing.

The car is a rust-free Florida car, and I see no signs of leakage under the hood. The reservoir is full.

I have a mobile mechanic I usually use, but need to buy parts before he shows up. I thought maybe the box between the battery and master cylinder might be an ABS module since my Ď98 SL1 does not have it.

Should I check the lines first anyway?

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GSmithFL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Here is my '99 master cylinder. It has ABS. There are a couple extra connectors and it is large. Note all 4 tubes are inline.

My '98 does not have ABS. It has a smaller MC and the tubes are not 4 in a row. More like two pairs, with one above another. It is much like the MC in this Gen3 SL2 that I pulled a transmission from at the junkyard yesterday. You can see two of the tubes.

In this picture you can see the silver thing hanging out of the car. It is the PCM module.

Look at your master cylinder. That is the easy way to tell.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
GSmithFL

1998 SL
2000 SW2

The pics are awesome! Thanks!

I have to drive back up to the office and look at the master cylinder. I will keep you posted!

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Drum brakes in rear = no ABS.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Drum brakes in rear = no ABS.
Not true! Unless that is a Gen3 thing. My '99 has ABS and rear drums.

Edit: a recent thread showing rear drums and ABS on a 2000 SL1.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234862

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
MobileSaturn
MobileSaturn is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Not true! Unless that is a Gen3 thing. My '99 has ABS and rear drums.

Edit: a recent thread showing rear drums and ABS on a 2000 SL1.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234862
Correct. You can also see here that from 1999 on forward, all Saturn S-Series' came with rear drums, regardless of ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MobileSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MobileSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MobileSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Interesting link, thanks. So onlinebiker's statement is true for pre-94 Gen1s.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

GSmithFL, below are battery, pcm, brake master cylinder and abs unit. Autozone asked whether or not abs is used because the counter person was probably looking for two(?) different brake master cylinders. Before second guessing about abs, the most likely reason for pedal to the floor with the master cylinder still full of fluid is a worn out brake master cylinder. ABS is mechanically invisible to all brake systems because valves are closed with brake fluid passing thru the abs unit to brakes. ABS goes on standby when ignition is turned on, engine running and car driven. When emergency braking is detected where one or several wheels locks up, abs takes over to prevent brakes from locking up and takes over braking as long as the brake pedal is pressed down. When abs activates to control braking, valves open and close, becoming a visible presence in the braking system. Release brakes and abs goes back to standby, invisible to normal braking until another braking event occurs requiring abs intervention.

Was brake fluid ever replaced? Mileage of this car?
Attached Images
File Type: gif pcm.gif (35.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (47.4 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'98-'02 had no rear disc option; only drums.

'91-'97 SC2's w/ABS got rear disc
'91-'97 SL2's probably got rear disc by default w/ABS
SOHC's I don't think had the disc option (though they should have...).
SW2's were generally treated like SOHC's as far as 'default' options go.

With a bit of work any model can have rear disc swapped on; hardest part is finding (and receiving) the correct parking brake cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I thought if you had traction control, you had ABS tooo ?

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You are correct but GSmithFL stated not noticing abs pulsing. Many drivers are unaware of the zinging sounds abs makes as soon as a car is driven above 5 mph when abs exercises its motor as the last test before going into standby mode. Some drivers, like me are reminded from time to time, to slow down in some turns taken at higher speed than posted when braking and an uneven surface allows wheels to momentarily lose traction when abs automatically activates. The 'foot massage' when abs activates as feedback. I've taken one turn close to work where the short radius turnoff is flat, concrete and slightly rough. At a higher than normal speed when I brake at the beginning of this turn, the wheel(s) losing traction brakes and slows down faster than the other wheels maintaining traction when abs detects the differential wheel speeds and activates abs braking. I can (as well as anyone else) activate abs on sandy, gravel, pebbled, wet, icy, snowy ground as low as 10 mph. Losing wheel traction in any wheel while braking automatically forces abs to take over braking.

Traction control is the exact opposite of abs and uses the abs to deliberately reduce engine power and apply braking to the spinning wheel. Electronic spark timing is reduced then injector pulses are shortened to reduce engine power in concert with braking applied in extreme acceleration events like attempting to spin wheels from an icy patch of ground or trying to get out from a snowed in parking spot. A slipping drive wheel that's spinning faster than the other drive wheel is detected as differential wheel speeds so the abs tells the EFI system to reduce power and if that doesn't help, braking the spinning wheel occurs. Yes, braking the spinning wheel since its doing nothing to provide traction so abs brakes that wheel until it matches the opposite drive wheel. Some, including me, have felt the disconnect between pedal and engine when this occurs.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-24-2018 at 07:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

TC requires the ABS system to function.
Exception:
'91-'94 5spd's did NOT have TC even with ABS.

TC button on 3rd gens is harder to find than on 2nd gens; not that it's actually hard to find but it's not 'right on top of the stereo' obvious either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Correct. My bad for not mentioning not every abs unit has traction control. Early abs didn't have tc due to sophistication and the importance of getting on the bandwagon with other manufacturers adding abs as standard when it was an option. My L300 may be considered a 3rd gen Saturn but a different model altogether, from its European heritage (Vectras?). Mine has abs and tc. I don't care for tc as I rarely get into extremely poor parking spots with snow covering the car the next day and rarely encounter icy slick roads where traction is lost. I count on salted roads to allow minimal traction without inadvertently sliding around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #16
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I hated my traction control. It does not understand that to get up a steep New England hill that momentum is king. It trumps a bit of wheelspin.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Have you checked to see if the brake push-rod is still connected to the pedal lever/arm? It is hard to imagine there is a big leak if the MC is staying full, but have you checked all over for leaks yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmithFL View Post
There is a silver box behind the battery, but I do not know what that is.
small, flat (about as thick as a deck of cards)?

That's your Power Control Module (PCM), your car's main computer. It's only there on 3rd gens (in 2nd and 1st gens, it is under the driver side dash)

edit: NVM, I see waiex already answered the question

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
GSmithFL

1998 SL
2000 SW2

Howdy y'all... as we got under the car, the leak became more apparent. It was actually a brake line that we didn't see the first day as it was raining.

I'll have to do the other side, too. But we were back on the road that afternoon.

Sorry about the slow response - dealing with a toddler takes all my internet time.

Thanks!

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

REWARD EXCELLENCE!