SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2
Default Going under the knife

First operation is rear wheel bearing hub assembly, to replace the bad ABS sensor.

Rear drum is stuck fast with corrosion. Soaking with penetrating oil, tapping with a hammer as I spin it slowly. 1 hour total to unstuck.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2
Default Re: Going under the knife

Opinion:
Do you shoes need to be replaced, or still some life left in them?

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

There was life left in them. But I'd replace them since they're likely contaminated by the penetrant from the appearance of the drum in the picture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, the shoes have plenty of material left on them. However, Cheyne makes a very valid point regarding contamination. I agree that it would be best to replace the brake shoes. It's all about safety for yourself and others.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Thanks for the replies guys. I was leaning towards replacing shoes.
Next, is anti seize a no-no to apply before installing the new hub?
I have some wire brushing to do yet before I install the new hub.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Well that was fun, lots of penetrant and hammer.

Only a little damage to the old sensor

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your choice to apply anti seize on the hub bearing assembly before bolting it back on or not.

I use a very thin coat of anti seize on the wheel hub face where the brake drum fits, brushed on very lightly to leave the thinnest coat without worrying about this melting and contaminating brake shoes. I do this on my rear rotors designed with a top hat for the parking brake. The interior of the top hat serves as a brake drum for the park brake using baby brake shoes. Leaving a thin coat of anti seize on the wheel hub face resists rusting to allow easier rotor removal. I do the same for the front rotors, applying a very thin coating of anti seize on the wheel hub face after rust removal. NYC likes to lay down salt during the winter months - business deliveries must have clear roads otherwise food stores would run out and (gasp!) NYC might shut down. Anti seize seems to help prevent rusting where it coats surfaces that would normally rust as soon as moisture and salt gets on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Wow, all that corrosion! Makes me glad I don't live in the Salt Belt! I get a little surface rust with all our rain here in the PNW, but nothing like that!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Finally had time to get back to the garage today. New hub installed

All back together. First trip was to library this morning and no more ABS light, woo who!

Next up, clearing up two CEL codes.
P0410 and P0442

I could have a bad gas cap, it's cheap enough I'm going to be getting a new one. I would also like to get the EGR system cleaned up a bit.
So, what is the best way to get this exhaust manifold off, SL2 with AC?

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With a successful abs repair to extinguish the abs light and error code, the new errors might be worth starting a new thread rather them continuing here since they're separate from abs codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Gotta take the belt off to take the A/C compressor off the engine (tie up on the radiator support) then take off the air pump stuff and now you can get to the exhaust manifold bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
With a successful abs repair to extinguish the abs light and error code, the new errors might be worth starting a new thread rather them continuing here since they're separate from abs codes.
Well, I named this topic accordingly, was planning on having this topic cover my journey through all the little "operations" to get it running back in tip top shape. Easier for me to keep track of one Topic.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Gotta take the belt off to take the A/C compressor off the engine (tie up on the radiator support) then take off the air pump stuff and now you can get to the exhaust manifold bolts.
Thanks, I was looking it over after lunch and was surmising that was what I was going to do. That AC is nice to have, but sure gets in the way.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not sure why access to the exhaust manifold is necessary. It may be easier to got thru some steps before removing the exhaust manifold - troubleshooting (presuming) P0410 - secondary air injection system; pumping air into the exhaust manifold to help heat up the catcon in the first minute or so of cold engine running. Search for threads with service manual info as well as suggestions from others to check and examine for faulty air pump, air pump solenoid, vacuum diverter valve, hoses, fuse, relay and the feed tube of pumped air into the exhaust manifold. The same for PO442 - small evap system leak.

Gas cap is the first suggestion but if that doesn't fix it, examining the fuel filler neck for damage against sealing. The next steps may require checking rubber hoses for the evap system and steel pipes for fuel and fuel venting. Severe corrosion on steel fuel pipe and/or steel fuel vent pipe from winter salt spray may eat into metal piping. The evap system seals the fuel and venting system to allow vacuum from the intake manifold to draw stored vapors from the charcoal canister. The fuel vent valve next to the fuel filler neck closes so fuel vapor pressure and vacuum are tested. Any leak during vapor pressure and vacuum testing triggers the error code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_SL1 View Post

Next up, clearing up two CEL codes.
P0410 and P0442

I could have a bad gas cap, it's cheap enough I'm going to be getting a new one.
Even cheaper is replacing the rubber gasket with a AS 568-326 O-ring (1 5/8 ID x 2 OD x 3/16 section. (Not an exact replacement but it's been working for several months on my son's 1999 and my 2000 after getting P0442 codes) The old rubber seal was cracked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I was leaning towards replacing shoes.
Next, is anti seize a no-no to apply before installing the new hub?
I have some wire brushing to do yet before I install the new hub.
your call. I only use anti-seize on fasteners that I frequently have to remove or on spark plugs. chances are you won't have to remove the new spindle again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #17
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
your call. I only use anti-seize on fasteners that I frequently have to remove or on spark plugs. chances are you won't have to remove the new spindle again.
Well I already have the hub re-installed, and I used a very thin coat of anti-seize. So far the ABS code has not returned, and I have driven the car to work three days now, so I'm crossing my fingers I have that resolved.
New gas cap was delivered today so tomorrow I will drive the car as much as I can.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #18
00_SL1

2001 SL2

New gas cap installed and drove for a little over a week to work, and code P0442 is now gone, but P0410 still persists. Isn't that a little bass ackwards?

Anyways, car is going to be sitting for two weeks now at least. Shifting focus to the truck now, going to the track in two short weeks and want to make sure it will make the 3 hour trek there, and back.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #19
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
New gas cap installed and drove for a little over a week to work, and code P0442 is now gone,
Fabulous! Simple fixes are GOOD!!
Quote:
but P0410 still persists. Isn't that a little bass ackwards?...
As best I'm able to understand these two "circuits" within the larger emission system the answer appears to be no. The secondary air injection system and the evaporative emissions are not in direct contact with one another. EVAP has to do with fuel evaporation contained within the fuel system while the secondary air injection relates to the exhaust system.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #20
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Truck is parked in the garage for a while now, Back to the car!
Drove the car almost every day this week, and kept checking the codes, same one still P0410. Drive-ability hasn't been affected at all, nothing strange or out of the ordinary that I have noticed.

Is there a definitive step-by-step process for diagnosing this P0410 CEL?

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!