SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Toasterdon
Toasterdon is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1995 SL
Default 2007 Ion engine sludge?

Hi all,

A new mechanic is telling me that our 2007 Ion has sludge in the oil filter. He wants to do a 150.00 service to flush the oil system and put a "stabilizer" in the new oil.

The car has 95K miles, has been well cared for, regular oil changes, driven 40 miles a day and runs at normal temperature.

Doesn't sound right to me.

Your thoughts?

thanks

Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toasterdon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toasterdon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toasterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Ion engine sludge?

Did this mechanic show you oil removed from your engine and oil filter to show evidence of sludge? I never use repair shops but a wheel bearing and lower control arm failure, lack of access to a press capable of pressing out wheel bearings forced me to one. I was surprised to find the two worn parts on the counter when I went in to pay the bill. I used this shop before, when I bought new rims and tires to have them mounted and balanced. A very good two bay shop.

You may be the first here to mention any shop suggesting an engine flush of the oil system. I've never heard of this. Usually when a regular oil change is performed, oil filters trap all engine blowby gases that turns oil dark. The filter replacement allows the engine to pump fresh filtered oil around, drip back into the oil pan and drawn back into the pump before pumped thru the filter, trapping all debris. If there's any serious concerns about sludge collecting on the filter, the shop should have retained it to show you. Regular oil and filter changes are all that's necessary for the majority of daily drivers.

Stabilizer may be nothing more than oil additive. If your engine is showing signs of excessive wear, misfiring, exhaust smoke, etc, chemicals aren't gong to stabilize abnormal wear. Most descriptions at this point are termed band aids to serious engine problems.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-22-2018 at 07:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Where in SoCal are you located, Toasterdon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterdon View Post
Hi all,

A new mechanic is telling me that our 2007 Ion has sludge in the oil filter. He wants to do a 150.00 service to flush the oil system and put a "stabilizer" in the new oil.
To the best of my knowledge, no auto manufacturer recommends an engine flush. GM doesn't endorse that service. Lucas used to advertise an oil stabilizer many years ago. There are additives which are viscosity improvers having other properties as well.

Quote:
The car has 95K miles, has been well cared for, regular oil changes, driven 40 miles a day and runs at normal temperature.
If this has been your habit then you've done what's necessary to maintain the engine properly as fdryer pointed out. I agree that if indeed there was a sludge issue you should have been offered proof of it. Anyone can say anything at any time to cause us to be separated from our money needlessly (except to their benefit, of course). Based on what you've posted here you don't need any oil additive at all. BTW, what is the typical mileage interval between oil changes?

Quote:
Doesn't sound right to me.
I agree with you. It isn't right at all.

Quote:
Your thoughts?
If you're recommended such a service as this at any time in the future ask for physical evidence to support it. If only more talk is offered then politely decline such a maintenance service and happily go on your way. Lastly, I find the price of that service ridiculously high.

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 06-23-2018 at 12:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Toasterdon
Toasterdon is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1995 SL

Thanks guys,

I decided not to get this service. Our regular mechanic said they were upselling us, and GM recommends against doing these flushes.

The shop normally does good work, but things may be getting tight for them and they may be looking to increase profit margins with this service. None for me.

Thanks again.

Toasterdon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toasterdon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toasterdon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toasterdon is offline   Reply With Quote