SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Wiedha11
Wiedha11 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SC2 Key Fob Programming

I own a 2002 SC2 preowned. Somewhere in the half dozen previous owners the original electric key fob was lost, as well as the original key. I have since gotten a new key from a chevy dealer, as well as a second hand key fob for the SC2. I've looked around and everything I've seen has said I can only go to a dealer or an auto locksmith to have it programmed. I'm short on funds, so I'd rather avoid unnecessary expenses. I have called the same chevy dealer and they said they can try to program them, but if it doesn't work with the second hand fobs I'd still have to pay their outrageous fee. I don't want to take the chance it doesn't work and I'm out a large sum of money. Is there anything I can do at home to try to program them? Or should I try and get a refund for the keyfob and put that towards a dealer key fob and the programming they offer? Which, for both, totals just under $200 after tax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wiedha11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wiedha11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wiedha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: 2002 SC2 Key Fob Programming

My son has a 2002 SL2. We never got a key fob when we bought it in 2012. After a while I bought a key fob off the internet for just over $17.00. I took it to the local Chevy dealer for programming. They first checked it was functioning and physically transmitting. That check is FREE. Once they knew the remote fob was OK, they programmed it for just under $60.00. Of course I got all the crap about warranties, etc, as they would like you to buy one of their overpriced key fobs, so you just ride it out. While I was there they also gave me the keycode for the car. That was 3 years ago and never had any issues since.

The 3rd Gen cars can ONLY be programmed by the Dealer. There is no way to DIY. Sorry!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

My local auto store also has a free thing where you can check your fob to see it is sending out a signal. (if it isn't, might just be a dead battery or the contacts need cleaning, then check again)

I live in a small town. Local Chevy dealer was going to charge $50 to code my fob, called around and the one 30 miles from home but not too far from work was around $35. Might be worth calling around.

You didn't post your location, but there is a possibility that one of the Tech II clones might work. There have been some recent developments lately. Take a read - maybe one of these folks can confirm if they can get to a screen to program the fob. In the first one, you can see the OP was able to turn on cruise control, which used to be a dealer only thing, too

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234551

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234547

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Wiedha11
Wiedha11 is on a distinguished road

Ok. Thank you both. I'll probably get it checked and do some looking around for a cheap auto locksmith. If I can't find one I'll probably take it to the dealer and sit through their warranty stuff. Thank you both. Also, I'm located in the Greenville TX area, so there are a few places I can go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wiedha11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wiedha11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wiedha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

The MDI's from china are getting cheaper ever day. Once you have that you can just run the same Tech2Win software the dealers use (either Chinese hack or buy a short term license from AC Delco). Then you can do whatever the dealer can and you can probably do it better since those guys always get lost in the Tech 2.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
.........The MDI's from china are getting cheaper ever day. Once you have that you can just run the same Tech2Win software the dealers use (either Chinese hack or buy a short term license from AC Delco). Then you can do whatever the dealer can and you can probably do it better since those guys always get lost in the Tech 2. -Robert
Smh at the last sentence. I suppose the only reason dealer techs get lost wandering around the scantool menu lists may be due to either near lack of use/unfamiliarity(!?) or not given formal training to maneuver thru the entire menu and become familiar. Like most software menus, wading thru one with many pages several times allows change from unfamiliarity to familiar. A better trained dealer tech is more efficient and makes more money for business compared to those having to take time at customers cost.

I bought a lifetime wheel alignment plan from Firestone a few years ago. My local Firestone store closed down so I called the next closest store. To my surprise, the person I spoke to identified me from my phone number after asking whether or not the lifetime alignment was applicable to any store. This was a pleasant surprise and more so when I brought my car in and didn't have to provide original billing. I know databases are created for these purposes but its a good feeling that it works as designed to allow seamless service wherever one goes. While not as sophisticated as airline ticketing, its good to know businesses use every advantage they can to make a customer experience as pleasant as possible. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes with a minor rear alignment performed. I had a front wheel bearing and lower control arm replaced from a local repair shop and expected some alignment for the front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Pawpaw
Pawpaw is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. Wiedha11 is my grandson from my "2002 SC2 Manual Shifter Help Needed" thread.

He finally joined!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pawpaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pawpaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
My local auto store also has a free thing where you can check your fob to see it is sending out a signal. (if it isn't, might just be a dead battery or the contacts need cleaning, then check again)

I live in a small town. Local Chevy dealer was going to charge $50 to code my fob, called around and the one 30 miles from home but not too far from work was around $35. Might be worth calling around.

You didn't post your location, but there is a possibility that one of the Tech II clones might work. There have been some recent developments lately. Take a read - maybe one of these folks can confirm if they can get to a screen to program the fob. In the first one, you can see the OP was able to turn on cruise control, which used to be a dealer only thing, too

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234551

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234547
Not posting a location when having a technical question is a big mistake. With the sudden availability of the proper software at a reasonable cost you might just be close enough to get this done easily. As RobertGary1 mentioned the dealers do not have a vast detailed knowledge regarding 16 year old cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw View Post
Hey guys. Wiedha11 is my grandson from my "2002 SC2 Manual Shifter Help Needed" thread.

He finally joined!
Nice!

Listen to your Pawpaw, young fella, he knows what's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc
Not posting a location when having a technical question is a big mistake. With the sudden availability of the proper software at a reasonable cost you might just be close enough to get this done easily.
Agreed, but on the other hand, you kind of want to be semi-anonymous on the internet, too (or at least I do).

It's been long enough that I don't recall of anyone mentioning a good TX dealership (plus, TX is a big state)

Don't recall all the folks who bought Tech2/clones but IIRC, most of them were in Midwest states

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote