SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
maitai_1
maitai_1 is on a distinguished road

Default Used engine swap

Ok so I'm about to swap in a used motor I to my 1996 sw2 is there any thing I should replace befor the new 7sed motor goes in. It's a 1998 1.9 with 153k miles and was running befor pulled. Just asking if.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maitai_1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maitai_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maitai_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Used engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai_1 View Post
Ok so I'm about to swap in a used motor I to my 1996 sw2 is there any thing I should replace befor the new 7sed motor.
Took me a second to realize 7sed = used

I'm pretty sure you have to bring your fuel injectors and fuel rail from the 1996 motor to the 1998 motor.

There's a few sensors on the back of the engine that are easier to replace while the engine is out of the car. If cost is a concern, this is optional - no need to fix if it ain't broke.

Also optional, some folks like to clean the intake as it gets some thick, oily gunk. For that matter, with those miles, the EGR passageway may not be a bad idea - pull the exhaust and go in from that way.

One of Low Saturn's tips, replace the top starter bolt with a stud - the exhaust ones will fit. makes replacing the starter easier.

Oh, since the motor is out, gently backflush the heater core

There's been several threads, maybe a search will pick up something else.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Pretty sure the alternator is different as well.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SC2 - rusty frame. Donor engine for above SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Use the accessories from the 96 if the 98 does not have a compatible part. Replace the waterpump and use the 96 fuel system. You can use the entire 96 intake manifold assembly and make life easier, likewise the 96 exhaust manifold. Do not start swapping sensors with no reason/justification, the exception would be the ECTS --buy a new one. A new Denso or NGK front O2 sensor could save you a world of grief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
maitai_1

5hanks for the help but I found a 1996 dohc motor straight swap np problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help maitai_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
maitai_1

Ok another swap question what about 1996 dohc into a 1994 sw2. Every thing looks the same on the motors except the valve cover the 1996 is black and the 1994 is silver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
maitai_1

Sorry for the confusion the car is a 1995 dohc and I'm swapping in a 1996 motor. What harness do I use and is there any thing else that need to swap over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When swapping engines you use the existing wiring anf electronics. In the case of the 95/96 you will have to drill and tap a hole in the head for the gauge single wire sensor. Easy spot is the top of the head water outlet. Between the head and teh hose seat bump, ther is just enough room.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
maitai_1

Thanks for the info. Also looks like I need to swap injectors/fuel rail from the old eng.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion the car is a 1995 dohc and I'm swapping in a 1996 motor. What harness do I use and is there any thing else that need to swap over.
If you are placing the 1996 engine into the 1995 model, you will need to swap the injectors and use the 1995 harness because it is OBD-I. OBD-I uses 12.5ohm injectors. The 1996 engine uses 2.5ohm injectors, and will blow the fuses sky high.

As Nuc has stated, you will need to drill the cylinder head casting for the temperature sending unit(most machine shops will NOT do this), or you will not have a working temperature gauge.

Swap the 1995 O2 sensor from the manifold. Should be a single wire. From my understanding, the 1996 O2 sensor will not cause a SES light, I am not sure about the plug matching the 1995 harness or not.

Swap the valve cover, as well, since the 1996-1998 covers are junk and warp which causes oil leaks.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

DO NOT SWAP ANY WIRING HARNESS! All you have to do is swap the injectors into the 96 rail, they are a direct fit and the PCM, NOT THE HARNESS, is what determines the injector impedance requirements.

All of the 18mm O2 sensors will swap with no issues IF they have the correct connector, you can tell by looking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #12
maitai_1

@oldnuc yup I got that part thanks. I did notice thoe that it seams like the knock sensor uses a different plug not for sure yet. But yah I'm reusing the original cars harness on the new motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #13
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Yup. Use knock sensor off original engine.

I did the same swap the other direction....

95 engine into 96 body.

It worked our well except for I missed the injectors and kept blowing a fuse everytime it hit 4000 rpm.

The good gentlemen here pointed out the error of my ways, I swapped injectors - and it' s run like a Rolex since...

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
@oldnuc yup I got that part thanks. I did notice thoe that it seams like the knock sensor uses a different plug not for sure yet. But yah I'm reusing the original cars harness on the new motor.
Knock sensor does not use a different connector. Any connector issue will become obvious and you will have the proper part in hand anyway. It is best to use the 95 TB on the new intake. Easy way to deal with the fuel-intake issue is to just swap the entire 95 intake onto the 96 engine. You also must use the 95 exhaust manifold and while all of this is apart VERIFY by Presure Test that the exhaust has NO leaks.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Knock sensor does not use a different connector. Any connector issue will become obvious and you will have the proper part in hand anyway. It is best to use the 95 TB on the new intake. Easy way to deal with the fuel-intake issue is to just swap the entire 95 intake onto the 96 engine. You also must use the 95 exhaust manifold and while all of this is apart VERIFY by Presure Test that the exhaust has NO leaks.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

Slick!

Never seen that on exhaust. Do it all the time hooking up propane equipment.

I' ll have to remember that one. It WILL get used. No more sending the old lady up for a fun ride up on the lift.. "Start it!!".

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
maitai_1

I want to replace timing chain and water pump on new motor any recommendations on were to order timing chain set. Are the Ebay ones safe my local auto store wants $175 for timing chain set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Some people have had issues with the eBay chains (I think one guy had an extra link or something weird)

That said, I put an eBay timing set on my '98 SL2, and it's still in there running strong after 100k miles and 8 years, and many others had no problems, either

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
maitai_1

New problem didn't even think about till now if old motor is locked up how do I remove fly wheel to TQ converter bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
maitai_1

Was able to get the motor to turn and got out the flywheel bolts. I'm thinking there's a bad bearing in there motor turned but bearly had to use 1/2in brake and cheater pipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and turn engine over 2 complete turns. It has been setting dry for no one knows how long, everything is dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!