SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
1999saturnsl
1999saturnsl is on a distinguished road

Default Scraping noise in 99 sl engine

Hey y'all,
I tightened up the tensioner and replaced the water pump last week, and now I've got this metal scraping noise in my engine. Real bad when I start up, and sometimes shows up again at stoplights. S Belt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999saturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999saturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999saturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Scraping noise in 99 sl engine

Er, how did you 'tighten up' the belt tensioner?

Usually, they are cheap enough that they are just out right replaced, not repaired or 'tightened up'.

There are several fans here who have rebuilt theirs with new bearings, is that what you meant?

Perhaps, the tightening process you did, has not lasted and that tensioner is now causing the noise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

On a cold engine, remove the belt and start the car. If the noise is gone, it's either the belt or tensioner. You can run the car for a minute or so with the belt off, but probably won't need more than a few seconds.

Some of the aftermarket tensioners have slightly different diameter pulleys and require a slightly shorter belt. You can measure yours - I think the stock size has been posted somewhere here

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
1999saturnsl

I just gave it a couple twists of a ratchet, as I thought that was the thing to do..is that not suggested?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1999saturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Now I'm even more confused

What did you tighten, exactly? There are three bolts total.

Two of them (10mm?) are for mounting the tensioner and you should not have been able to tighten them much (red lines).

There's one bolt for the pulley (blue line) and all that does is release the tension so you can remove the belt. I think it's 13mm~14mm. Did you hold the pulley down and tighten that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.6 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
1999saturnsl

Yes, I turned the blue one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Normally, when you put just a wrench on that and turn, the whole pulley moves (it's how you release tension on the belt to remove it)

If you held the pulley still and then turned the bolt . . . we're in uncharted territory here. I've never heard of anybody doing that before
(congratulations, I guess? )

Because I'd be worried about damage from tightening that bolt, I'd replace the whole tensioner. The pulley is supposed to spin freely

If I didn't have the money to replace it, I might try and do the same thing in reverse . . . hold the pulley still and back the bolt out exactly as much you tightened it.

Good luck, tell us how it goes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
1999saturnsl

Brought a more mechanically-aligned friend over, who said the tensioner was out of place, lower than it should be. Suggested replacement. Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

On 6/19 I mentioned "Perhaps, the tightening process you did, has not lasted and that tensioner is now causing the noise?" ='s replacement needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote