SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Biniecki
Biniecki is on a distinguished road

Default Adjust throttle cable

I just purchased an 04 ion-2 for commuting back and forth to work during the summer. The car has 180k on it and has needed some maintenance. I recently drained and refilled the trans and did an oil change. After doing oil changes I have a habbit of holding the gas to the floor while cracking. In newer vehicles this results in the engine cranking but not firing to cycle the oil. It didnt dawn on me that this feature was probably not present in this vehicle. When doing this there was a little pop sound and then the throttle became stuck. I had to open the hood and manually turn it to free it up. Now when driving I almost have to floor the gas to get accelerate fast when merging onto the freeway. Im wondering if i may have caused the cable to stretch or caused something to loosen up that was holding proper tension. What should I look for and how do I go about adjusting it properly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Biniecki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Biniecki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Biniecki is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Adjust throttle cable

Why and who suggested to hold throttle wide open during starting? Are you aware of some Saturns shut off injectors during starting? Service and owners manuals mention 'clear flood mode' - used after several starting attempts fails to get an egg fine to startup and often suggested in winter weather when some cars refuse to startup. A program in the ecm detects slow cranking speed, throttle position at wide open to invoke shutting off injectors. It's presumed this situation resulted in flooding the engine after several failed starts. Holding throttle wide open, if the battery still has a charge, informs the ecm to shut off injectors while subsequent starts allows more to dilute the flooded engine until it sputters to life. Any other time when holding throttle wide open still results in injectors being shut off. You may have witnessed a leaned out start resulting in an actual backfire into the intake manifold and out the open throttle body.

Draining and replacing motor oil shouldn't require any vehicle to startup at wide open throttle. It isn't necessary because a full oil pan means the oil pickup tube is immersed in oil. Since oil is already in the system, the oil pump doesn't need priming and will suck oil up the pickup tube immediately. If you are truly concerned about oil starvation then an easier method can accomplish oil distribution. Pull either the fuel pump fuse or pump relay to stop pump operation. Crank the engine all you want since it won't fire up when the fuel pump isn't running. After a few seconds of cranking, oil is fully distributed. Replace what you removed and startup.

Remove the air tubing to the throttle body. Examine the throttle plate - it should be slightly open. If it's dirty, clean it with solvent and a rag. Have someone exercise the gas pedal whole you observe throttle plate movement. Throttle cables rarely, if ever, stretch.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-18-2018 at 05:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote