SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Walkop
Walkop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Looking at buying a 2004-2005 V6 Vue, what should I look for...?

Hey all!

Current Saturn owner in Ontario, Canada crossing over from the S-Series tech forums. Looking to purchase a V6 Vue for towing a utility trailer for landscaping/lawn care equipment. Total load likely will rarely exceed 2000lbs.

What should I be looking for? I have a potential buy in a 2005 Vue Redline (auto trans) with 216,000kM (134,000 miles) for $2500 CAD. There's also another 2004 V6 (but no info currently, need to talk to the owner).

I'm definitely interested in the Redline, but know little about Saturn Vues. I've nearly rebuilt my SL2, done almost everything save for the engine and trans, but no experience on post S-series vehicles. Honda engine, what trans is worrisome...? What should I look for in a test-drive...?

Thanks!
Walkop

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Walkop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Walkop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Walkop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Looking at buying a 2004-2005 V6 Vue, what should I look for...?

I thought the redline didnít allow towing because the rear bumper is too low( unles you cut it)

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Walkop

2002 SL2

I wasn't aware of any of that... I just did some research. I'm still interested in buying it, it looks like you just need to modify the real facia. Not even the bumper.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is the legality of it. Would it be legal to tow a trailer commercially if it's technically not supported by the company? The Vue itself is designed to tow 3500lbs...but Saturn mentions many times "don't tow with the Redline Vue, you'll damage your vehicle".

I'm in Canada, but I doubt the laws are much different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Walkop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

I wouldn't be overly concerned about towing if you're willing to cut that small slot. Make sure you periodically dump and re-fill the transmission with fresh fluid. On a FWD VUE, that's usually the weak link in the drive train. On a AWD VUE, it's the RDM unit in the rear (with bearing failures between the two halves of the drive shaft to the rear being a close contender).

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

You do have to trim the bumper cover but pretty minor.

I don't know the Canadian RL market but $2500 CAD seems pretty cheap. I'd be really concerned with subframe and undercarriage rust at that price. Also, you could spend another $3-$4K on needed maintenance or repairs which is why its being sold so cheap. Timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, spark plugs, struts, wheel bearings, control arms, tires, brakes etc. add up. You would be much better off importing a rustfree southern car that has been gone through. Umm, I could could help you out in that regard as I'm selling my silver '04 but it's a bit more than $2,500. https://sites.google.com/site/atikov...ue-redline-awd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Walkop

2002 SL2

Thanks for the info!

I also have another option that came up that I'm quite interested in. A 2004 Vue, one driver, older woman, with all maintenance records. 191,000KM, or ~119,000 miles. Leather interior. V6, Honda engine.

Is the transmission only worrisome on the inline 4 models?

VUEManiac, RDM? I'm not too familiar with AWD transmissions, I've never done work on a vehicle with one. Mainly FWD.

Also, atikovi, not necessarily interested but if I had the budget for that Vue I'd be snatching it up in no time. That thing is gorgeous. It's exactly what I'd want to do to my own Vue, right down to the Meguire's. I'm a hobby detailer. Awesome work!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkop View Post

VUEManiac, RDM? I'm not too familiar with AWD transmissions, I've never done work on a vehicle with one. Mainly FWD.
RDM is the rear wheel drive module that drives the rear wheels when slippage is detected with the front wheels. They are pretty fragile and expensive to replace.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Walkop

2002 SL2

Just thought I'd chime in with an update. I'm pretty much locked into a 2004 V6 FWD Vue, Black. 190,000KM (~118,500 miles). All service records included. Regular oil changes, garaged overnight inside for the winters, new tires, brakes engine and trans all work great - no noticeable issues in a test drive. Some suspension parts may need replacing, but it runs really well. Minimal underbody rust. Just got a new starter and wheel bearing replaced. $1200 CAD ($908USD).

Cons:
  • Passenger mirror glass is detached from the mirror. It's on, but loose.
  • ABS and TCS lights are on.
  • AC only works on 1 or 2. Instantly disables on 3 or 4.
  • Muffler has a rust spot, one layer is rusted through about 2" in diameter. Inner layer is intact.

I'll be on here more often going forward! I do all my work DIY, so Saturnfans is the only real place to be. Glad to join the Vue clan!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
rg3
rg3 is on a distinguished road

I have an 04 v6 awd, black too. Timing belt should be done every 100k miles so do that if it hasn't been done already along with the water pump and new coolant. The blower only working on low speeds sound like a resistor problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rg3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rg3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg3 View Post
I have an 04 v6 awd, black too. Timing belt should be done every 100k miles so do that if it hasn't been done already along with the water pump and new coolant. The blower only working on low speeds sound like a resistor problem.
If it was a resistor it would only work on high.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Walkop

2002 SL2

Just another update. Looks like that deal with the Vue fell through - after agreeing to the sale, the owner texted me saying they decided to sell to someone who messaged them before I did initially.

I contacted another seller nearby. The Vue is a 2005, FWD. It has 211,000KM (132,500 miles), $1250 CAD (~$950 USD). No lights on. Haven't gone out to test as of yet. No info on service records. Not sure if there are any. Woman driver. She said the tires need replacing. Also an inner tie rod. I ask how she knew, and she said her mechanic replaced the outer tie rod and then told her that the inner was shot. I asked which side, and she said she thinks it was both. I already purchased another set of tires on Vue alloy rims, so that isn't a concern.

Any red flags or specific things I should look out for? Should I be concerned about the steering rack at these miles...?

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkop View Post
Just another update. Looks like that deal with the Vue fell through - after agreeing to the sale, the owner texted me saying they decided to sell to someone who messaged them before I did initially.

I contacted another seller nearby. The Vue is a 2005, FWD. It has 211,000KM (132,500 miles), $1250 CAD (~$950 USD). No lights on. Haven't gone out to test as of yet. No info on service records. Not sure if there are any. Woman driver. She said the tires need replacing. Also an inner tie rod. I ask how she knew, and she said her mechanic replaced the outer tie rod and then told her that the inner was shot. I asked which side, and she said she thinks it was both. I already purchased another set of tires on Vue alloy rims, so that isn't a concern.

Any red flags or specific things I should look out for? Should I be concerned about the steering rack at these miles...?

Thanks in advance.
Replacing the inner tie rods isn't a big deal if that's all that's wrong with it. If you buy it, immediately do the timing belt, spark plugs, and have the valve lash checked and adjusted (if necessary). I'd also change ALL of the fluids.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
If it was a resistor it would only work on high.
The resistor card can cause many strange problems ... the attached SB applies to 02-07 Vue's.

BTW ... the SB explanation is prepared for dealer techs but if you have problems with compressor not engaging at any blower setting replace the blower speed card.

They are commonly available and I paid around $35 for last one I needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2018-06-24 13.10.29.jpg (134.4 KB, 10 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Walkop

2002 SL2

Another one to add to the Vue saga. Meeting a seller this weekend. Here is the link to the Kijiji ad.

Low KMs (149,000), $2000 CAD, AWD (with a brand new driveshaft), looks like two owners, Blue, no lights on, only the "Low Coolant" lamp. He sent me the VIN number and everything seems to check out. It passed emissions every time in its history. Again, any thoughts on this one?

Last edited by Walkop; 06-28-2018 at 09:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!