SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
buffumjr
buffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura about

Default Power Requirement for SL radio

I have a radio my daughter took out of my 1995 Saturn SL when I gave it to her. I want to mount it in an enclosure and have music in my shop. I need to know what the required amps are. A have a 1 amp 12V power brick from my power brick box.

Any help appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffumjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffumjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffumjr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Power Requirement for SL radio

1amp should turn it on and work fine on "very low" volume, but for reasonable listening you should get a 5-8 amp power supply. Feel the brick after a minute or two, if it's warm or worse-HOT, it's not able to safely provide enough power to the radio.

On my unit that isn't powered from a PC power supply I use this: https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Univ.../dp/B00D7CWSCG
Even has more ports so I can run a 12cm fan to keep things cool inside the box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
buffumjr
buffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura about

Thanx. I'm going to SkyCraft tomorrow. I'll look for a 10A supply. SkyCraft is mind boggling in the electronics stuff & junk they have. Worse comes to worse, I'm sure there's a 10A brick out there.

What wattage speakers would you recommend?

BTW, the Saturn SL died an honorable death. On I-95, in the Ft. Lauderdale area, my daughter was stuck in traffic. A tractor-trailer rear ended the pickup behind her, and it hit her. Both the pickup and the Saturn were accordioned. My daughter, though hurt, was eventually OK. The Saturn had 250,000 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help buffumjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It only has about 10w max output so...any speaker above glorified headphones would work fine. Pretty much anything you can find either in the free pile or the under $5 bin (assuming used items). I think stock speakers are 8ohm so if you find the far more common 4ohm speakers it becomes more critical to get some active cooling going on (fan) though they'd go slightly louder (less ohms means louder for the same power, but also far far more heat in the amp) than with stock speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
buffumjr

OOOH! I have some computer speakers with sub woofer lying around, gathering dust. They would be perfect, if that's all the unit puts out. All I have to do is find the right size jack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!