SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Alternative to r12 mineral oil for ac discharge hose gasket?

I can't find r12 mineral oil anywhere to lubricate the o-rings. I think I used baby oil as an alternative last year, but the gasket/system leaked quickly (my mistake for believing the ac shop guy after he told me he would vacuum test the system for 15 minutes before charging it).

I bought new gaskets to make the repair but I'm wondering how I should lubricate it this time? Haven't removed the hose yet to see why the connection failed, maybe using baby oil is not a problem? Or is this the proper stuff? https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-11.../dp/B00171UV82

It would be helpful if there was something I could grab locally today so I could make the repair rather than waiting for Amazon..

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Alternative to r12 mineral oil for ac discharge hose gasket?

Drugstore mineral oil is suggested. If you have a refrigeration parts or general supply distributor, they may have r12 mineral oil. They may have Nylog, a general purpose lube for hvac systems.

What caused the leak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Ok thank you for the quick reply. I should be able to find that...The CVS baby oil does list mineral oil as it's ingredient, but there is also "fragrance" which could have caused issues.

I'm not sure what caused it to fail, I did just replace the hose last year due to a leak in the rubber portion. I may have over or under tightened, or the gasket the hose shipped with was the wrong size? Hopefully I can tell once I get the hose off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Replace your schrader valves. They leak. If you remove the cap and hear a slight pop it's leaking. If you remove your Gauge lines and see any bubbling their leaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Ty, I'll double check that but after I had the system recharged last year oil leaked all over the compressor from the discharge hose/gasket connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's some info for guidance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote