SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Cleaning ignition coil pack?

Been looking for more detail on how to clean the coils, etc. I see to use a Scotch-brite pad to remove the crud on the coil pack surfaces and the bolts, including under the bolt heads. Question is, do I coat the entire surface of the coils and bolts with, like a dialectic grease before assembling? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Cleaning ignition coil pack?

Keep that grease off of anything EXCEPT the 4 aluminum plug wire connections. Everything else is just cleaned up. There is no electrical contact to the back plate either. The circuit ground is through the connector and the RFI/EMI ground is through the brass rings the bolts pass through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Keep that grease off of anything EXCEPT the 4 aluminum plug wire connections. Everything else is just cleaned up. There is no electrical contact to the back plate either. The circuit ground is through the connector and the RFI/EMI ground is through the brass rings the bolts pass through.
Oh my gosh, I'm pretty sure that years ago, when I cleaned the coil pack, I put a thin layer of dielectric grease on this surface and the mating part! So, when I clean those aluminum plug wire connections (haven't taken it apart yet) are those simply where the other end of the spark plug wires connect?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil pack 1.JPG (27.8 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, the 4 towers the plug wires connect to. There is a huge misconception that the rear plate of the ICM actually makes physical contact with the transmission bell housing, as you can clearly see it does not, only at the corners. It is an air cooled device.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Yes, the 4 towers the plug wires connect to. There is a huge misconception that the rear plate of the ICM actually makes physical contact with the transmission bell housing, as you can clearly see it does not, only at the corners. It is an air cooled device.
I'm pretty sure that years ago, it was recommended, on this site (by some) to coat those large surfaces with the grease to help stop corrosion. But in effect, that would probably cut down on the cooling affect, huh. So, I just clean everything up and only grease the plug connections. If there is any hesitation in acceleration, and that problem is connected to the coil packs, is it because of dirty plug connectors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
I'm pretty sure that years ago, it was recommended, on this site (by some) to coat those large surfaces with the grease to help stop corrosion. But in effect, that would probably cut down on the cooling affect, huh. So, I just clean everything up and only grease the plug connections. If there is any hesitation in acceleration, and that problem is connected to the coil packs, is it because of dirty plug connectors?
Or is any hesitation problem more than just cleaning those terminals and I may need a whole new coil pack? Thanks for anymore info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The old BS regarding smearing with silicone grease is just that, BS. Keep that stuff where it belongs as it will collect dirt and airborne contaminants leading to more issues.

Gently clean the terminals and those should be LIGHTLY greased to stop or retard the aluminum corrosion. Nothing else needs or benefits from being greased.

Yes, it is possible the entire module is failing but you are not going to be able to tell that until all plugs and wires are fresh out of the box new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
The old BS regarding smearing with silicone grease is just that, BS. Keep that stuff where it belongs as it will collect dirt and airborne contaminants leading to more issues.

Gently clean the terminals and those should be LIGHTLY greased to stop or retard the aluminum corrosion. Nothing else needs or benefits from being greased.

Yes, it is possible the entire module is failing but you are not going to be able to tell that until all plugs and wires are fresh out of the box new.
Okay, great. I've pretty much got brand new plugs and wires so I'll clean the coil "blocks" and terminals and see if that slight hesitation problem goes away. Changing the ECTS really, really helped but when the car gets hot (but not always) it will sometimes hesitate so I'm hoping it's the coil pack. Will clean today. Thank you for the info!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Often ignition related misses like that will take place more when at temp, and often under certain load conditions.

Once the coil packs are clean, make sure you don't get any dielectric or anything slick under the boots at the coil pack end. The way they taper any extra lube will try to push them off the coil pack with many wire sets.

As for corrosion protection, I've always just given the bolts a shot of WD40 now and then. Displaces water, and is thin enough to not attract dirt and crappola to the area you use it on.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Often ignition related misses like that will take place more when at temp, and often under certain load conditions.

Once the coil packs are clean, make sure you don't get any dielectric or anything slick under the boots at the coil pack end. The way they taper any extra lube will try to push them off the coil pack with many wire sets.

As for corrosion protection, I've always just given the bolts a shot of WD40 now and then. Displaces water, and is thin enough to not attract dirt and crappola to the area you use it on.
Thanks for that info. You know, thinking about this more, the car's got "somewhere" around 300K (broken odometer long ago) I wonder if it would just be a good idea to get a whole new coil pack? I looked in Rock Auto and can pick up a Delphi (good brand????) for around $22.79 plus delivery, etc. And seeing as how it's so simple to install, I may just go with the new one. And even if that doesn't turn out to be the problem, hey, since I'm going to keep the ole girl for years, I just might treat her well and buy her a brand new pack. Who knows, after all these years, there may be cracks in the old one that I can't visually see. Any suggestions on buying a "good" one???? Any preferences anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do not buy an aftermarket unit. High failure rate with those. Local Pick and Pull sells the complete assembly cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Do not buy an aftermarket unit. High failure rate with those. Local Pick and Pull sells the complete assembly cheap.
Considering Delphi used to be part of G.M. would that still be aftermarket? And if I go with one from the Junk Yard, as long as I find one with only, maybe 100K miles, that would be better than what I have---as long as the number of years don't make a difference? Then, I see that AC Delco offers one for around $41.
Think I'll check the junk yard first. Thanks, OldNuc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I personally tend to think that people over think coils. They are a fairly simple device. There are always camps that say go with OEM as they are superior.... but they are replacing broken superior parts?

I'll just leave you with this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
You posted on a Sunday evening and expected a reply in the middle of the night?

I dont have experience with the coils you mention, but I have used Accel, MSD and JEG's coils and never had an issue.
From this thread...

NAPA/Echlin Ignition Coils

Being that Low Saturn has owned more S Series cars than I care to think about, I tend to trust what he has to say about them.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I personally tend to think that people over think coils. They are a fairly simple device. There are always camps that say go with OEM as they are superior.... but they are replacing broken superior parts?
From this thread...

NAPA/Echlin Ignition Coils

Being that Low Saturn has owned more S Series cars than I care to think about, I tend to trust what he has to say about them.
Thanks for that info, Signmaster. I'll really shop around before I buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

In my experience coils are nearly bullet proof while ICM's are crap. Not that either are failure prone, but if you're having spark issues blame the ICM before the coil packs.

I ran coils from a 3.1 V6 for a while too. Not 100% sure it was required but I read that they have reverse polarity compared to S-Series so instead of the normal 4123 it was 1432. Car rusted out before I had any issue's with the setup, though that might have been the car I hit 38mpg highway with when everything else topped at 35-36...hmmm... lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
In my experience coils are nearly bullet proof while ICM's are crap. Not that either are failure prone, but if you're having spark issues blame the ICM before the coil packs.

I ran coils from a 3.1 V6 for a while too. Not 100% sure it was required but I read that they have reverse polarity compared to S-Series so instead of the normal 4123 it was 1432. Car rusted out before I had any issue's with the setup, though that might have been the car I hit 38mpg highway with when everything else topped at 35-36...hmmm... lol
Ugg---how much are we talking about for an ICM replacement? (Because, I'm really shooting in the dark here and looking for answers)
Or let me ask this---------with around 300K on the car, aren't I just about due for a new ignition coil anyway????

Last edited by JerryHughes; 06-17-2018 at 07:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Depends on what your JY charges, the ones local to me I can get loaded ICMs for under $50 (ICM w/Coils).

ICM's are '91-'92, '93-'95, '96-'02*

*'96-'99 don't have the idiotic bolt down plug wire stupidity '00-'02's do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Depends on what your JY charges, the ones local to me I can get loaded ICMs for under $50 (ICM w/Coils).

ICM's are '91-'92, '93-'95, '96-'02*

*'96-'99 don't have the idiotic bolt down plug wire stupidity '00-'02's do.
Yeah, but I see that the new ones on RockAuto run from about $80 to over $100. If I buy at a junk yard, aren't I just jumping out of the pot and back into the fire, considering they're old with many miles??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 97-99 vintage have a very good history of no failures and any JY will give you some kind of a warranty. Look for a clean one with no rust on the coil laminations and low mileage well maintained car. They are not hard to find either. 20-30$ and less on 1/2 price days. The 00-02 are also failure prone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
The 97-99 vintage have a very good history of no failures and any JY will give you some kind of a warranty. Look for a clean one with no rust on the coil laminations and low mileage well maintained car. They are not hard to find either. 20-30$ and less on 1/2 price days. The 00-02 are also failure prone.
Okay, will do. So---the ICM is the "bottom" part of the assembly and the coil is the "top part" of the assembly and I should look for both of these in good condition, on a lower mileage junker---from 97 to 99? Thank you! (Since it's not a pressing matter, I will wait for the next, junk yard 40% off sale.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!