SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default 2007 VUE AC Weirdness

Added another VUE to our household today- a 2007 V6 AWD, Laser Blue.

A few dings, but that's not what this is about...The AC blows nice and chilly, as long as the fan speed dial is only set to the second pip. If I turn it up so it blows higher, the snowflake light goes out, and the air is warm. Forceful, but not cool. Turn the fan speed back to 2, snowflake lights up, air is frigid.

Could this be a relay? Fuse? I checked the HVAC fuse in the passenger side panel, looked unburnt. There's also a large relay cube there, could that be something to change?

Any ideas really appreciated. Thanks

JC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshjani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 VUE AC Weirdness

1-What's actual vent temperatures? Service manuals specify measuring temps from the center vents.

2-If temps are within 10-15 degrees of 35F or below freezing temps when ac stops, there may be a temperature sensor detecting freezing air. If air output is at freezing temps, ac will be disabled to prevent creating a virtual icebox inside the hvac enclosure. Freezing temps are not supposed to occur and if it does, several reasons may explain it.

All vehicle ac systems are designed to output cold air no lower than freezing temps (32F). Some ac systems have a sensor in the hvac box to measure temps in addition to one on compressors. Sensors detecting freezing alerts the ecm to disable compressor operation until temps rise above freezing. All ac systems run at least a few degrees above freezing. When freezing air is detected, there may be a loss of refrigerant, faulty compressor, blockage in the air distribution system or faulty thermal expansion valve. Freezing conditions may require using refrigeration gauges to measure low and high side pressures at specific blower settings, taking into account ambient temperatures and humidity. This becomes advanced ac diagnostics and not for the average diyer unfamiliar with refrigeration.

3-If your ac uses a scroll compressor, this may help; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521

Last edited by fdryer; 06-16-2018 at 08:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Walkop
Walkop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Literally same issue here on my end. I just purchased a 2004 V6 FWD Vue, black. The A/C works on 1 and 2, but immediately when you turn it to 3 or 4 it disables itself. When you turn it back down to 2 or 1, it turns back on.

@fdryer, I don't believe this is a sensor issue. It seems electrical. It doesn't matter whether the A/C has been running for a while or not, and it seems temperature independent - the A/C does not work, no matter what, on 3 or 4, but works on 1 or 2.

Strange issue. Haven't had a chance to try and diagnose yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Walkop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Walkop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Walkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Walkop

2002 SL2

Too late to edit - to clarify, the A/C won't turn on at all even directly after a start if the fan blower is set to 3 or 4. The fan blows, but the A/C won't turn on. Fight with it all you want, it will not engage if the fan is set to 3-4. The second you set it to 2-1, it turns on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Walkop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Walkop, are you describing your '07 Vue or another model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Walkop

2002 SL2

Fdryer, it's a V6 2004 Vue (mentioned in my first post above). Not sure about mechanical differences between them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, is your hvac system use auto climate control where the control panel is digital, allowing you to dial in whatever temperature you desire and lets the computerized control panel make adjustments to blower speed and regulate temperatures? Auto climate control panels will have a digital temperature display. Manual hvac panels won't have a display with dials or lever to adjust temperature.

The hvac control panel may be faulty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Walkop

2002 SL2

I believe it's manual/analog. I won't be with the Vue for another 3 days, so I can't confirm, but in my memory it was definitely analog.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

FWIW, the 2006 definitely has an analog dial. There's no diigital readout- just a dial with circles indicating fan speed, and a snowflake button, and a cool level dial with blue and red swoops. My 2005 is also analog, just different dials. I assume the 2004 would be similar to my 2005.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just a guess on my part plus wiring diagrams for '04 Vues aren't clear of wiring interaction between blower speed control and ac compressor operation. In my mind and based on your descriptions, any blower speed except OFF makes me think the hvac control panel controls compressor operation. If the blower can't run then the control panel may not allow compressor operation. If you can, remove the control panel and examine it for damage, burned circuit lines or wires. Some circuits can be traced if they're simple. If blower speed circuits are visible, you may be able to see if speed 3 and 4 are damaged. Drawings show a wiper arm in the control panel. The control power feeds selected power to the blower resistor card. The resistor card has several resistors that control blower speed. The blower resistor card can burn out and needs to be removed for examination. Your choice to remove the hvac control panel or resistor card first.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (25.1 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
Walkop

2002 SL2

JoshJani, thanks for that. Makes sense they'd be similar...

Fdryer, I'll take a look inside and at the panel when I get the chance. Thanks.

Just to clarify, in case I wasn't clear - the blower always works. Every speed works fine. The light on the A/C button just turns off and the air isn't cold on speeds 3 and 4, but it still blows. Hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That makes me think the problem is in the control panel and any wiring associated with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I had a similar problem. When I pulled the control head out the fan speed was fried. Replaced it and ass has been well.

ACDelco 15-50700 GM Original Equipment Heating and Air Conditioning Blower Control Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016HWQ1M..._HbkkBbBB41978

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2006 VUE AC Weirdness

A win here- I replaced that resistor card and now the blower works on all speeds with AC!
It was a PAIN to get the card out of its slot- held on with two screws, one of which is easily removed, but the back one is right up against the firewall, and there's this little hump of plastic keeping you from getting a socket on it straight. I went and got a ratcheting combo wrench, and it was simple as cake.

Amazon has 'em, as does Rock Auto, which is where I got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2018, 04:05 AM   #15
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

This is weird. It sounds similar to the problem my wife reports. A/C will start on fan speed 4 (don't know about 3). But after a while just blows ambient. On fan speed 2 (don't about 1) A/C continues to work.

joshjani replaced the resistor card and now alll is fine.

RobertGary1 replaced the fan speed switch and now all is fine.

I don't what, if anything Walkop has tried.

fdryer's print shows the location of the resistor card and zstart utube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f_aegHUVk) shows how to get access to the blower switch control.

Not sure, after removal, I will be able to determine which one is damaged but these sure are leads I would not have though to try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rock View Post
This is weird. It sounds similar to the problem my wife reports. A/C will start on fan speed 4 (don't know about 3). But after a while just blows ambient. On fan speed 2 (don't about 1) A/C continues to work.

joshjani replaced the resistor card and now alll is fine.

RobertGary1 replaced the fan speed switch and now all is fine.

I don't what, if anything Walkop has tried.

fdryer's print shows the location of the resistor card and zstart utube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f_aegHUVk) shows how to get access to the blower switch control.

Not sure, after removal, I will be able to determine which one is damaged but these sure are leads I would not have though to try.
If you have multimeter you can test resistor card (and socket) using steps listed in GM service letter posted Step 13 of this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...75#post2276175

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #17
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
If you have multimeter you can test resistor card (and socket) using steps listed in GM service letter posted Step 13 of this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...75#post2276175
Thank you or posting that service letter. The resistor card tested OK and I had voltage at wire 60. I did not do a terminal drag test.

I'm hoping the problem was caused by a poor ground. While going over the grounds I found the bolt securing the ground from the battery to the starter was not as tight as I would expect. Oil had coated both sides of the lug. Cleaned it up and the speedometer now works and the A/C seems to but I'll need to go for a longer test run to make sure.

I was not able to remove the ground wires on the A/C compressor to clean. even after removing the offset hold down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote