SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Strent
Strent is on a distinguished road

Default P1635 success stories?

I have a 99 SL2 that I swapped in a 98 SL2 engine been having trouble with engine sporadically stalling that usually starting right back up each time it throws the p1635 code and other times it has other codes relating to the 5 volt system with it. I've read a lot of the old threads on this forum and got many ideas and tried almost all of them but nothing seems to work for very long. Has anybody else had this problem and been successful in solving it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Strent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Strent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Strent is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P1635 success stories?

You probably have a pinched wire toone of the sensors that are powered by the 5v reference. This requires a close visual inspection of the associated wiring.

Note there are 4 loads on this system. Are you seeing any other codes? If not it is likely a intermittent ground condition. My first suspect would be the wiring to the tank pressure sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2018-06-12_19-55-50.jpg (21.5 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Strent

The usaul routine is ses light comes on then the engine dies when I put the code reader on the p1635 is always there sometimes it's by itself other times it's a company by p1122, P0122, p0405, p0452. Most of the time it's just the 1635 and one other once I had all of them keep in mind the code you clear every time I disconnect the negative terminal of the battery to try one of the solutions I read about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Strent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have a pinched wire that is grounding out the 5v reference. Probably happened when the engine was swapped. This is a matter of doing a lot of looking. There is no code that will locate this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Strent

Thank you for your help, i guess ill be going over the whole wiring harness....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take a look at the MAP, TPS, and EGR wiring where it becomes a couple of single wires first. The car will not run when all of these sensors quit together and any one grounded takes out the rest. The tank pressure sensor it to the rear of the car in an interior body harness that is not failure prone but the other 3 are all on the backside of the engine and do get beat up. These types of failures are devilishly hard to find but easy to fix. Look for any damage on teh plastic looming as that can be a clue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!