SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
ddb
ddb is on a distinguished road

Default water pump aura xr oem or is there a better one

my water temperature is climbing to a 3/4 of H at high speeds but stays at 1/2
in neutral and 4k rpm. I changed my sparks, oil, flushed water coolant it was pretty rusty. I usually feel the engine heat when testing it with my hand over the open window at the traffic lights but it just doesn't feel as hot as shown on temp dial, so heat is not dissipating as it should according to my "palm sensor" it is not the fan. the fan is good and blows 100% no engine errors other than silly random traction thing, I guess one of my rims is bent a bit.

I took the radiator cap off and I see some flow so water pump is not completely dead yet. I checked the belt and pully it weeps more than it should but I don't think is the culprit.

It must be the water pump bearing or blades, I just can't find any other good reasons that would explain sudden rust in the water I flushed my radiator last week and the water is getting brownish again. I walked into AutoZone and all they had was valucraft. Can anyone recommend a good water pump for my car, I don't like to be cheap when it comes to the cooling system. its XR 3.6 type 7
I can't wait too long either cooling is serious stuff.

many thanks to all of you, David.
ps: I love the XR, 10 years old and pulls 0-60 in 6 sec anytime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: water pump aura xr oem or is there a better one

If the water pump weep hole shows signs of coolant, its time to replace it since coolant is flowing thru the bearings, rusting it from within. Did you try rockauto.com for a list of pumps including oem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:38 AM   #3
ddb

Thumbs Up Re: water pump aura xr oem or is there a better one

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the water pump weep hole shows signs of coolant, its time to replace it since coolant is flowing thru the bearings, rusting it from within. Did you try rockauto.com for a list of pumps including OEM?
thank you again!

ill slide under the car this weekend and listen to it maybe record it with a snake cam that attaches to my phone. Ill think ill go with Ac Delco and use original bolts if the included ones are longer, gotta make sure the seal is ok.
Does rockauto use a GM catalog for parts? Ill message them tomorrow. their prices are good and It looks LIKE the parts are a good match I can wait a few days to have it delivered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, ddb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Ill think ill go with Ac Delco and use original bolts if the included ones are longer, gotta make sure the seal is ok.
FWIW, I think that is your best choice also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Does rockauto use a GM catalog for parts?
I've seen no evidence of that. I'm reasonably sure that, in this case, the information comes from the AC-Delco catalog.

You, of course, may visit any GM OE parts website of your choosing. I like the following, but there are more.

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

295,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

One of the tell tale signs of water pump failure on these cars. While you're in there with the water pump, replace the thermostat as well.

GM wont admit it, but Dexcool anti-freeze/coolant is quite possible some of the worst quality in the market. The formula rots and ruins the metal in the water pumps, thermostats and sometimes in the engines themselves.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:50 AM   #6
ddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerbigjon View Post
One of the tell tale signs of water pump failure on these cars. While you're in there with the water pump, replace the thermostat as well.

GM won't admits it, but Dexcool anti-freeze/coolant is quite possible some of the worst quality in the market. The formula rots and ruins the metal in the water pumps, thermostats and sometimes in the engines themselves.
I learned it the hard way. my antifreeze ph was 6.7 it shouldn't be that low but it was.

From now on, I will check my cooling pH and flush my system with vinegar just like I do on my espresso machine. vinegar water at 55-60C should take care nano rust and lime buildups that alter the ph.

It doesn't get cold here, so I will use plain water from now on ill adjust ph to 8+ provided there are no alloy or aluminum parts in my cooling system. if there are alternatives, ill try to eliminate aluminum from my cooling system.
I am not allowed to post links but you can google "Importance of the pH Value in Engine's Coolant"

most say it is wise to avoid cooling liquid ph below 8 because of its corrosive nature and avoid pH and higher than 9 if you have alloy or aluminum in your system. I am making sure there are no aluminum composites in my cooling system so can use plain water, also, water absorbs more heat than antifreeze. my friend says he uses whole foods alkaline water in his system and its ok. I am not sure if that's wise. in any case, ph test kits are easy to get I used an API fish kit from Petco.

Personally, I think money is better spent on a good water pump than frequent fancy antifreeze changes. it's nothing but dyed glycol anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation