SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default That'll Learn Me... Purge Valve Canister Edition

So I've had this PO440 code for the longest time on my '99 SL1 and I've been meaning to fix that before I have to renew my plate (which requires the DriveClean emissions test), so I phoned up a local GM dealer who has been good to me before and ordered part #21006689 from them.

I finally got around to installing it this weekend and after watching Richpin's YouTube video, I went to work removing the old purge valve canister and installing the new one. What did not occur to me was that I would end up with the incorrect canister-- but it happened. The new "GM Factory" canister didn't have a proper attachment for that vent line with that blue clip on it (Original canister in foreground). I tried the best I could with it, cutting the supplied hose down and jamming the blue clip onto it before attaching it to the vent line. We'll see how long that holds up though... I'll most likely have to bite the bullet and eventually get one from Rock Auto.

And now for my question: One connector is for the electrical connection, and the one with the blue connector is for the vapor vent line... so where the heck does the third line go to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20180526_180028.jpg (130.3 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: That'll Learn Me... Purge Valve Canister Edition

From the service manual;

Fuel evaporation is a normal process in any fuel system. The purpose of the evaporative (EVAP) emission system is to limit the amount of fuel vapors, hydrocarbons, escaping into the atmosphere. To accomplish this, the EVAP system transfers the fuel vapors that accumulate in the fuel tank into an activated carbon storage container, the EVAP canister. The EVAP canister will store these vapors until the PCM determines that the engine is able to burn this stored fuel vapor. When the PCM determines that the engine is able to use this stored fuel vapor, it, along with fresh air, is drawn, purged, into the intake air flow, by opening the purge solenoid, and consumed in the normal combustion process.

The components that make up the enhanced evaporative emission system consist of the following:

1-EVAP canister vent solenoid, located on the upper end of the fuel filler pipe just behind the left rear wheelhouse liner
2-Fuel tank
3-Evaporative emission system canister, nested on the top of the fuel tank at the left, rear corner
4-Fuel tank pressure sensor, inserted on the top of the right, rear portion of the fuel tank
5-System fuel lines and hoses
6-Evaporative system service diagnostic port, located in the canister purge line, under the driver's side floorpan behind the left front wheel
7-Canister purge solenoid, mounted below the intake manifold on the side of the cylinder block, toward the rear of the block
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (117.5 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Re: That'll Learn Me... Purge Valve Canister Edition

Thank you once again, fdryer. That line leads to the top of the intake manifold, just past the throttle body.

That'll learn me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote