SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Dean 300
Dean 300 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn L300 no start

I have a 2001 L300 no start, I have checked the cps for good resistance mine is showing 925-970, Obd11 shows u2105 and p1780, new throttle body, new fuel pump, although throttle body actuator clicks when ignition is on. Fuel pressure not good just can't get it to fire up. It only has 68,000 miles on it. I am totally lost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dean 300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dean 300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dean 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn L300 no start

For the time being until the following is performed, ignore the error codes as they may be false codes. Replacing the throttle assembly requires a calibration procedure; turn ignition ON (pedal untouched, engine not started) and wait 30 seconds when the ecm detects zero pedal/engine rpm. The ecm enters into throttle calibration mode to exercise throttle plate movement as the throttle position sensor feedback informs the ecm. Several positions are selected then throttle returns to starting position - all in about a minute after turning ignition on. After this cycle ignition off before trying to startup.

If starting doesn't occur, one of several things may be possible; flooded engine, lack of spark, loss of injector pulses, loss of fuel pressure, security flashing during starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, Dean 300!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean 300 View Post
I have a 2001 L300 no start, I have checked the cps for good resistance mine is showing 925-970, Obd11 shows u2105 and p1780, new throttle body, new fuel pump, although throttle body actuator clicks when ignition is on. Fuel pressure not good just can't get it to fire up.
What prompted the replacement of the fuel pump and throttle body?

P1780 (type B) DTC - TCM Requested MIL (Malfunction Idicator Lamp) Illumination. Type B codes are emission related faults that turn on the MIL if a fault occurs in two consecutive ignition cycles.
U2105 - Lost Communications With Engine Control System
DTC PARAMETERS
DTC U2105 will set if the BCM or TCM lost CAN (Controller Area Network) communications with the ECM:

* Condition exists for longer than 2 seconds for TCM, 3 seconds for BCM
* Ignition is on

DTC U2105 runs continuously with the engine On.

An open anywhere in the CAN link will result in at least one controller not communicating.

Looking at my 2000 L-Series FSM your ability to diagnose this problem as a DIYer is rather limited.
1) Check ECM mounting bolts for tightness and corrosion
2) Check BCM/ECM/CRUISE/ABS fuse and CONTROLS B+ fuse
Beyond those two items there is little you can do to diagnose this problem with the scanner you have. The only scanner that can assist in diagnosing this problem further is a GM Tech II Scan Tool (or Tech III), or a clone, either of which are expensive. If you're good with wiring and can verify that the system has no opens then that's certainly a plus for you.

It would appear that with the DTC U2105 present nothing is going to work. FWIW, DTC1780 may be suggesting that the TCM is the unit responsible for the lost communication within the CAN link.

290,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Dean 300
Dean 300 is on a distinguished road

I replaced the fuel pump because of lack of line pressure, one other thing I forgot to put in my first post I must have a power draw somewhere every day I go to working on this car the battery is dead, brand new battery same thing. I tried running the parasitic draw test couldn't find anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dean 300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dean 300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dean 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Parasitic draw setup; a digital (10a?) ammeter connected between battery negative and its cable. Parasitic current is considered less than 0.050 amp or 50 milliamps - the sum of current drawn to maintain keep alive memory in radio presets, ecm, bcm and OnStar. Higher readings suggest either an aftermarket device left plugged into a power outlet, headlights, dome, trunk light, etc. Pulling one fuse at a time while monitoring the digital multimeter should reveal what circuit is drawing current. The engine, left and right foot wells have fuse panels. Most dmm have settings for a range of amperage. Initially set high in anticipation of large current then selecting a lower range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote