SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
SalemCat
SalemCat will become famous soon enough

Default Overheated & STOPPED !

My 98 SW2 needs new Front Brake Pads, so I've set it aside for a couple of weeks.

I try to run it for 1/2 hour or so, every week, even if I am not driving it.

Today I started it, and came back 1/2 hour later. It was not running, and coolant was running down the street.

I added water, which immediately poured back out of the Left Bottom (drivers side) of the Radiator.

Then I started it, just to see. It started fast and seemed to run fine, for the 30 seconds or so I let it.

Can I just replace the 5-yr old radiator, and hopefully get through this ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Overheated & STOPPED !

New radiator is the first thing to try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
New radiator is the first thing to try.
I have replaced four or five of these Radiators. They are pretty much a consumable.

The first time will be horrendous, due to the Transmission Cooling Lines being frozen in place.

But lube up the new ones, and next time is no sweat.

Could the engine possibly be undamaged ?

PS

Saddest thing is, my 1996 SW2 with a Radiator from 2012 just started leaking this week. I figured I'd throw some brake pads on the 1998, and be good for a month or two. Then today 1998 SW2 loses its 2013 Radiator !!

I'd be a lot more pissed, but honestly, I am thankful this happened in May and not February.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is likely it is fine but the only way to find out is to replace the radiator and run it. You may have sprayed hot antifreeze on the coils etc and that shut it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Try rotating the crank by hand, to be sure it hasn't seized from the over-heat. That is not a likely problem, but it is very easy to try rotating the engine; no use throwing a new radiator at it if the engine is toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Try rotating the crank by hand, to be sure it hasn't seized from the over-heat. That is not a likely problem, but it is very easy to try rotating the engine; no use throwing a new radiator at it if the engine is toast.
It starts and runs as if nothing ever happened.

Of course I only drove it around the block, so it did not get even warm.

I'm shocked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Vaporized antifreeze and water shut the engine down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Sorry, I missed that you had already started it again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Vaporized antifreeze and water shut the engine down.
So - the shutdown was most likely Electrical ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That stuff does not burn so the engine ran out of air. Generally that sets a P1599 code which does not turn on any lights. The air intake is real close to the left end of the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!