SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL2 Ignition Key hard to remove from Ignition when in Park

My son has the 2002 SL2 Auto. Recently he has told me that occasionally when he is leaving the car, he has difficulty in removing the key from the ignition. It did it once when I was there and after moving the gear selector through the positions and pushing into Park again, it released the key.

My question is whether the likely culprit is at the gear selector end OR the ignition unit end?

Any suggestions appreciated. His car very rarely goes wrong and in 5 years of ownership has been an absolute peach!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2002 SL2 Ignition Key hard to remove from Ignition when in Park

If you have a key that is newer and less worn try that one and see if the problem still persists.

Our my 02 SL2 started having this problem. Sometimes the key would even pull out before the ignition was turned fully into the locked position. Add inadvertent steering lock to the equation and you suddenly have a recipe for a locked ignition cylinder. It took a lot of key wiggling and steering whell twisting to remedy. Now we're certain to carefully turn the ALL the way to the off position, even if it takes some manipulation.

Both of our old keys were EXTREMELY worn, though we noticed the one that was less worn had fewer issues in the ignition.

We also had a credit card sized "emergency" back up key that came with the car that wasn't worn at all since it was hardly ever used. It has zero ignition issues, suggesting the problem is more with a worn key than a worn ignition.
I just brought the car back from the brink of death we still haven't gotten a replacement made, but i think that will solve the problem for me.

If you don't have a more pristine key, or if you don't think yours aworn enough for this to be the problem, it must be something else

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Ignition Key hard to remove from Ignition when in Park

Park Lock Cable Adjustment, if needed

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111364

but a new key and a dry lube may be enough to do the trick. I think you are supposed to push the key in when it hits the OFF position, before removing it (or maybe you push it in before turning it to START). I don't think anyone does that because all the cylinders are worn enough that it is not needed, but something might be stuck there. I'll try and remember to read the owner's manual to see what it says about that.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote