SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
SL1Noob
SL1Noob is on a distinguished road

Mad 1996 sl2 - 2 New exhaust replacements and both have flange the wrong rotation

96 Saturn SL2 that needs to have the catalytic converter and flex pipe replaced. I bought the whole pipe replacement that has both of those in it with the Triangular flange on both sides. The first one I bought was an aftermarket and the flange that connects to the manifold was rotated the wrong direction making the exhaust go 20 degrees across the oil pan instead of beside oil pan where it's supposed to rest. So I returned that one and bought a Magnaflow exhaust of the same type and it just arrived today and has the same exact issue. Basically the triangle is positioned on the manifold with two holes in the back and one in the front there for triangles pointing towards the front of the car. The exhaust flange is exactly the opposite basically with two holes in the front and one in the back with the triangle pointing towards the back of the car.

I don't have welder or I just cut the stupid thing and will be back on the right direction. Which might be what I end up doing but nevertheless I'm annoyed. Because this almost $300 part needs to be modified

Has anybody run into this? I have link the video that I uploaded to my YouTube and you can see what I'm talking about

youtu.be/6m222IHIUCM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Noob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Noob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
SL1Noob

Default Re: 1996 sl2 - 2 New exhaust replacements and both have flange the wrong rotation

Some pictures hope you can see them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180523-173843.jpg (100.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180523-173833.jpg (124.5 KB, 39 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Noob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
SL1Noob

Default Re: 1996 sl2 - 2 New exhaust replacements and both have flange the wrong rotation

No one has any thoughts on this or info?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1Noob View Post
No one has any thoughts on this or info?
Try calling them. Any manufacturere should want their product to fit.
If thier proposed solution is too much trouble, then you could fixture the flange in the right position and have it welded.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Just explain the flange orientation and they can send you the year that fits. Saturn just pulled parts off the shelf to fit the manifold they just pulled off the shelf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

SL1Noob, is the flange welded or not? A few minutes on rockauto.com reveals the flange turned 180 degrees on some while the others are similar to yours. See below. I included only the ones that show a clear image of the flange connecting to the exhaust manifold. One seems to show the flange set back from the flared end, possibly left loose for easy alignment or welded........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosal 0795127.jpg (12.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Davico 171198.jpg (57.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Easterrn Catalytic 850650.jpg (14.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Eastern Catalytic 942854.jpg (19.1 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget, it makes a difference if it's California or Federal emissions package as to what one will fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

All of the Davico branded ones I've bought have swivel flanges. They're also the cheapest around $130 I believe. Any aftermarket company should have known that the flange position is in a random place based on what GM felt like that day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
rk80
rk80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1Noob View Post
Some pictures hope you can see them.
Looks like you have a pipe for a 99 manifold or a 2001 catalytic converter manifold. I swapped out the the newer roller cam engines in all my Saturn's and had to cut and re weld the original pipes to fit.

I think you basically have the wrong down pipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rk80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rk80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
SL1Noob

Thanks for all the replies. From what I've noticed the 96 to 2000 had issues with this. I ended up finding a post on this forum, go figure. Needless to say this is not a uncommon problem, but it is annoying. I ended up thinking it through and thought maybe I could cut the downpipe off the old one and attach it to the new one. After taking the old one off tonight I lay them side-by-side and lo and behold the flex pipe is about 5 inch down from where the other flex pipe is. Also the older pipe is wrinkly and really rough looking. So I'm going to go see if I can't get Maybe an extension piece to put on to the older pipe and try to use couplers on both ends to extend where the flex pipe was on the old one. I really don't want to cut up a part I just paid $300 for but I need to get this car inspected and I really don't want to send us back and wait a week for another one.

To answer some of the questions this is a 1996 SL2 dual overhead cam. This car does not have the California missions catalytic converter on the manifold. Which I think that this downpipe is actually created for. What blows my mind is that I'm pretty sure that the 96 did not have the California emissions catalytic converter on a manifold so I'm not even sure why it it would be created for a 96 and be sold from two different locations by two different companies as such.

A couple of the other questions were does it have a fix flange on the new pipe. It does on the manifold side it does not have a solid piece on the catalytic converter side. It would have been nice if it would have had a non solid weld on both sides and then I could have moved it to where I wanted it.

It looks like you guys are give me some other options so maybe the best bet is to just send back this one eat the $30 Rush charge for shipping and hopefully get a correct one from the sources that you guys have given me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #11
SL1Noob

More pictures attached

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I would be wary of trying from another vendor and hoping for a perfect fit. I have three nearly-identical DOHC engines ('94, '95, and '97 in '95 car) and the clocking of that flange needs to be slightly different on all.

Also be wary of using slip-on couplings there. Even small exhaust leaks up-stream from the cat can cause problems with the fuel trims (and emissions).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Just throwing this question into the mix.....

Is the engine a 1996?

There are lots of forum members with older Saturn's and they routinely swap engines from older in to newer cars and vice versa to keep them on the road.

I am also a little confused why you appear to have spent $300.00 on the front section, when certainly Rock Auto knock them out for less than $100.00.

I for one would not buy something for $300.00 that didn't fit and then start to cannibalize it. It doesn't make money sense and any warranty flies straight out the window.

Step back, take a breath and reutnr the parts that don't fit, get your money back and then check out parts that are likely to fit, ie the ones suggested by other members that have said the flanges swivel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

Hello,
I too encountered this very problem.
I cut and welded which for me was the easiest solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (91.1 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Did you intent to replace the flex pipe as well? You could have gotten a generic "universal" cat and had a muffler shop weld it on for $75 and still be cheaper than $300 (unless youre in California)

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote