SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Default Top or bottom?

Pulling engines, that is.

I asked a while back which was easier - removing an engine from the top, or like the factory - from the bottom by pulling the whole drive train.

There consensus was out the top.

I just finished pulling one out the top - for the first time - and I have to say - these guys know their stuff.

It was definitely easier removing it from the top.

But going back in?? It sure looks like a nightmare to me.

I guess if I am going to try that I need to get a good load leveler for my cherry picker.

That will have to be down the line - the car I' m putting this engine in needs a bit of work on the subframe so I will be dropping the whole subframe - then swapping engines and replacing from the bottom.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SC2 - rusty frame. Donor engine for above SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Top or bottom?

Put it back in the same way you took it out. Be aware it is very easy to break the master cylinder reservoir with the intake side cam cover corner when just starting back in. Your attention will be on getting the exhaust flange over the lower block flange and you will neglect watching the back side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Only pull the sub-frame if you're replacing it with a new-to-you one, otherwise it's not worth the hassle/risk of dealing with the subframe bolts. If you don't live in the rust belt you don't understand how much of a PITA those freaking things are and don't have to worry.

Load-levelers are cheap, this one is only about $25 shipped: https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Engine-.../dp/B004PX4YCI

If you got the engine/transmission out without the leveler (HOW?? lol) then you shouldn't need it for going back in, but it'll make the job far far easier. Just watch for sensors & stuff catching on the firewall lip and the exhaust manifold catching on the radiator support. You'll need to man-handle the engine around some to get the PS pump back where it belongs while you're dropping it back in and it's easier to get the downpipe between the engine and subframe brace before the engine is fully dropped in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Is there anything you can do ahead of time (e.g., tape bits of cardboard around the engine, or around brake master) that would help with the snagging, or to protect bits?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Only pull the sub-frame if you're replacing it with a new-to-you one, otherwise it's not worth the hassle/risk of dealing with the subframe bolts. If you don't live in the rust belt you don't understand how much of a PITA those freaking things are and don't have to worry.

Load-levelers are cheap, this one is only about $25 shipped: https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Engine-.../dp/B004PX4YCI

If you got the engine/transmission out without the leveler (HOW?? lol) then you shouldn't need it for going back in, but it'll make the job far far easier. Just watch for sensors & stuff catching on the firewall lip and the exhaust manifold catching on the radiator support. You'll need to man-handle the engine around some to get the PS pump back where it belongs while you're dropping it back in and it's easier to get the downpipe between the engine and subframe brace before the engine is fully dropped in.
I have pulled many engines out the bottom - so yeah - I do know the subframe mounting bolts can be a pain. The thing I have learned is soaking the snot out of the bolts ( rear are easy - front a bit trickier) with PB Blaster for a few days ahead of time.

And take your time with a 1/2 inch breaker bar - no impact wrenches- and work the bolt back and forth with more penetrant.

If you hurry - it might take much, much longer.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
onlinebiker

It took two days - and the better part of a can of PB Blaster - but the bolts came out - of a 20 year old Michigan car - quite easily.

No substitute for patience.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
xenonracerx
xenonracerx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I was just reading a service manual that recommended removing the engine cradle and all the trimmings from the bottom. It made me wonder if it were possible to pull it through the top. Removing my engine isn't necessary and I hope that it never will be. This car has been in southern Nevada its whole life, but onlinebiker's post gave me flashbacks from when I was a in Ohio. Hot humid summers caused constant sweating, but having dirty, salty, ice water from the Ohio roads raining down on me from the melting fender-bergs was messed up. I quit my mechanics job and joined the Navy in 1988.

I broke two bolts that were holding the EGR down on my dad's 1991 GMC Sonoma back in 2013, but they were incredibly brittle. I put less than 10 foot pounds on these things. They were about 1/4"-28 Grade 5 bolts.

If you don't like the game, change the rules.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xenonracerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xenonracerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xenonracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

If this is on the SW2 out the bottom and ditch that auto trans :P (I saw it on GR/Holland CL and glad it went to a good home , would of loved it but need to move some cars first)

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Tip for those, well any, rusty bolts, work back and forth, and keep applying acid base oil (IE; PB Blaster).

Or use an impact, following above advise if the fastener starts torquing.

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The Vue we just did a clutch/slave cylinder on, had three of the four carriage bolts so rusted It was like They were welded. I just torched them out. there wasn't any way to get a wrench in there to hold them any way. Those little pockets seem way smaller than the S ones. I used a metric nut and a flare wrench to torque them. So I could retrieve my wrench after. I think it was a 22mm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
wheelhorse520
wheelhorse520 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Is there anything you can do ahead of time (e.g., tape bits of cardboard around the engine, or around brake master) that would help with the snagging, or to protect bits?
Can you pull the engine out and leave the manual trans unbolted still the cradle or do you have to pull engine and trans as a unit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wheelhorse520's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wheelhorse520 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wheelhorse520 is offline   Reply With Quote