SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
98cherokeeltd
98cherokeeltd is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 LS1 3000rpm Idle

So my LS1 sat for a few months and I got it running again. Went out to work on it earlier and when I started it, the motor revved up to 3000 and stayed hovering there. Put it in gear (5 speed) and let out clutch, dropped but went right back up when clutch depressed.
Drive it up and down the road, worse outcome. 3800and rising after pressing clutch.
Shut off the key while rolling down the road and turn it back on...MAGIC. normal idle.

Back in the driveway...shut car off, restart. 3000rpm. Kill key, turn back on. Normal idle.

I checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and didn't find any. But I also ran out. Sprayed everything down with soapy water but didn't see any bubbles and idle never waivered.

Help?

Just put a new battery in it and have to replace the alternator, but that shouldn't effect the car idle...right?

2000 LS 5-speed ecotech

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98cherokeeltd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98cherokeeltd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98cherokeeltd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS1 3000rpm Idle

Any check engine lights? Check for a dirty or sticking throttle body and sticking throttle cable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
98cherokeeltd

No SES or CEL.
I'll have to pull the intake off the throttle body and see what it does while running. Had it off one time previous to getting the car running and all was clean and correct. I'll check it again though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98cherokeeltd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
98cherokeeltd

It was suggested on another forum that it could be the TPS.

Any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you check or clean your MAP sensor and clean the Throttle body before replacing anything? That should be something to look at. High throttle mean it isn't reading the right air flow mixture in my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
98cherokeeltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Did you check or clean your MAP sensor and clean the Throttle body before replacing anything? That should be something to look at. High throttle mean it isn't reading the right air flow mixture in my opinion.
Not yet. Hoping the weather holds out so I can wrench on it when I get out of work in an hour.
Throttle body is the first thing I'm going to check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cherokeeltd View Post
It was suggested on another forum that it could be the TPS. Any other ideas?
Asking car questions on public sites can result in accurate and misleading info. Using another forum about a different model to use their info can also mislead anyone attempting to search for answers. In general, if its not specifically about your model, the info may be faulty, incorrect and/or not applicable. I have two throttle position sensors on my throttle because my throttle is electric and part of a drive by wire system, no steel cable to control throttle, all electronics. I never use this info to relate to other cars. If you were using faulty tps issues from the S-series forums in hopes that it may explain your problem, don't. The S-series have issues with worn tps' other models don't seem to have. If you search thru past threads in the L-series forums, I doubt you'll find tps failures. It can occur but not frequent enough that its mentioned here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
98cherokeeltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Asking car questions on public sites can result in accurate and misleading info. Using another forum about a different model to use their info can also mislead anyone attempting to search for answers. In general, if its not specifically about your model, the info may be faulty, incorrect and/or not applicable. I have two throttle position sensors on my throttle because my throttle is electric and part of a drive by wire system, no steel cable to control throttle, all electronics. I never use this info to relate to other cars. If you were using faulty tps issues from the S-series forums in hopes that it may explain your problem, don't. The S-series have issues with worn tps' other models don't seem to have. If you search thru past threads in the L-series forums, I doubt you'll find tps failures. It can occur but not frequent enough that its mentioned here.
As far as all that...im willing to listen to (read) any ideas. The more information I can expose myself to, the better. Even if the info incorrect, misleading or correct, doesn't matter to me because if expands my knowledge base. I've been wrenching on things my whole life and I know that it's possible to get incorrect info from forums, BUT it's a damn convienant to have access to.

As you claim, the L-series isnt known for having TSP issues like the S-series, but if I'm already under the hood, it would be counter productive to NOT check it. I've had other 2 other vehicles that the TPS crapped out.

Thanks for the less than helpful response.

Edit: and no, I didn't get info from an s-series forum. It was an L series section on another Saturn site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
As far as all that...im willing to listen to (read) any ideas. The more information I can expose myself to, the better. Even if the info incorrect, misleading or correct, doesn't matter to me because if expands my knowledge base. I've been wrenching on things my whole life and I know that it's possible to get incorrect info from forums, BUT it's a damn convienant to have access to.

As you claim, the L-series isnt known for having TSP issues like the S-series, but if I'm already under the hood, it would be counter productive to NOT check it. I've had other 2 other vehicles that the TPS crapped out.

Thanks for the less than helpful response.

Edit: and no, I didn't get info from an s-series forum. It was an L series section on another Saturn site.
I find it not good to use another L-Series forum if that is what it really is to find your information and then expect another site to fix their problem posting. I had two Saturns and had no TPS failures nor does my folk Saturn have any TPS problem. As stated it does happen but is more rare of a issue then others make it out to be. If you want help in one forum stick to help from that forum and not cross post information from here and there and expect users here to find the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.....Thanks for the less than helpful response.

Ok, your choice to use any site that's helpful. Apparently you came here for help. I don't know how to be any more helpful than I stated misinformation can be found anywhere, including here but you're still here. What you may not realize is that you haven't given any more info to go on for me to make any suggestions for diagnosing this problem. I merely added what no one else has. Would you rather I repeat what others already stated? In your research, did the tps solve the problem? Your choice to go with guesses and throw parts at the car or try as most do, find ways too diagnose a problem, troubleshoot it to determine what's at fault then repair or replace parts to restore normal function. If you believe I'm not helpful then this will be my last reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, 98cherokeeltd!
Quote:
Just put a new battery in it and have to replace the alternator, but that shouldn't effect the car idle...right?

2000 LS 5-speed ecotech
As fdryer pointed out previously, this idle problem has not been encountered here at SaturnFans with any model year of the L-Series cars having our engines. This naturally makes it difficult for us to provide truly useful ideas. The only thing that I would point out is that you must be sure that the charging system is operating normally. Take care of the alternator concern.

There are two other GM car models which had the ECOTEC 2.2L engine with a manual transmission in model year 2000, the Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire. These two cars are built on the same chassis. Looking for a problem which mirrors yours among those models might prove useful. It should be pointed out that the manual transmission is not the same as what is in your car. As for me, I have no idea as to what could be causing the erratic and high idle speed to occur with your car.

I wish to comment on the response you gave to fdryer in post #8. I belive that you took his comments too personally, or if not that then perhaps some other inference was developed out of what he wrote that I cannot see. In any event, as I have become familiar with him over the time of my membership here it's become clear to me that he doesn't post comments to be provocative. Reading through his post I cannot find any intent other than to add some clarity regarding how one should think about correcting the problem at hand.

The large majority of members here are very willing to provide whatever insights they may have. Sometimes, of course, it happens that we have little to say. As your problem is worked through and you add more posts to this thread perhaps someone might add information here which will be helpful to you.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote