SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 is on a distinguished road

Default Short Shifter Linkage Issues?

So I've perused the forum and found a few posts about the short shifters....albeit homemade or purchased. What I've heard from the "real" short shifter with the extension below the pivot point that it poses problems with the linkage..I've done this on another vehicle. The shifter extended below the car and the linkage was hard metal rods. This linkage I believe from a recent JY visit are steel cables....what are the weak points on this cable linkage and what remedies have people used. I can't find anything but arguing about what a short shifter really is...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Short Shifter Linkage Issues?

Chop an inch or 4 off the top, weld an inch or two back on the bottom and put a 1" spacer in to fix the misalignment.

Info on the 'odd' shifter cables: https://sixthsphere.com/archive/index.php/t-84776.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short_shifter.jpg (72.5 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Bearded1mx3

So does the space size have to match the extension below pivot point..I'm planning on only extended and inch so a one inch spacer up top should suffice...what material tall use for the spacer...would a treated wood suffice or should I do a metal one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The cables don't like to bend so the spacer needs to match however much length is added to the bottom to keep the cables in the proper alignment.

All the one's I've seen were made out of aluminum, but a pressure treated wooden one should work fine, better if you can find or make a liner for the pocket where the shifter ball rubs. You might get away without creating the pocket too, that part I'm not sure on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Bearded1mx3

I'm not sure what you mean by shifter pocket...is that the space where the pivot point...ie. ball fits...I guess I could chape treated wood and melt abs to line it....what ya think

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #6
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I've never taken one apart enough to tell, the picture I linked to before appears to show the ball/pivot is fully encased by the plastic (what I called the shifter pocket) so all you'd need to do to the wood is make a semi-oval shape in the middle to allow full range of the lower bars movement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!