SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
M0nkeywrench
M0nkeywrench is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 vue 2.2 ecotec crank no start after changing coil pack.

My wife's 2004 vue started misfiring one day so I started by changing plugs with no change. So I read a few posts on this forum and thought it might be the icm. I changed it out and still had the same misfires. So I changed out the coil pack next and now it wont start. I checked all the fuses first and they checked out fine. So I thought maybe the new coil pack was detective, so I put the old one back in to test and it still wouldn't start. I put the old icm back in the old coil pack and still nothing.

So I must have messed something up but I can't for the life of me figure out what. I'm not a very experienced mechanic but this seemed pretty easy, but I guess I was wrong.

I did the spark plug test that I found in a youtube video and I didn't get any spark at all. I changed out the crankshaft position sensor, I even swapped out another coil pack and icm to rule out defects. The passlock light isn't flashing or staying on, so I don't think that's it. I just load tested the battery at autozone and it's fine. I tested out the icm with a test light like I found in a Scanner Danner youtube video, and I'm getting power to the icm when I crank it. So I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M0nkeywrench's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M0nkeywrench reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M0nkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 vue 2.2 ecotec crank no start after changing coil pack.

For someone not mechanically adept, you've covered most of the troubleshooting from zero knowledge compared to many that can't get past turning the ignition switch............. Hopefully you didn't throw a monkey wrench into this problem.

Quick lesson in EFI systems so you can correlate parts replaced. A dead crank sensor kills the entire EFI system; no fuel pump operation during starting or running, no injector operation and no spark - the ecm or pcm is dead and can be used as a door stop. Presuming the crank sensor is operating, the ecm/pcm needs crank sensor timing signals to run the EFI system. The ecm/pcm EFI system controls three things; fuel pump, ignition system for spark and injectors. Each system has its own fuse on the engine fuse panel.

Turning ignition ON, the ecm will prime the fuel lines for two seconds. Depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail should emit a large spray of fuel to check for pump operation and pressure. Injectors and fuel pump are powered by one fuse. One 15 amp IGN/INJ fuse, 10 amp fuel pump fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

Make sure you re-installed the ground wire on the ECM. The factory ground wires are shown in the yellow circles (link below) The grounds I added are shown in Red.

I had misfires and added several ground wires. This solved my problem..

Look at this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216101

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
jeff kirschke
jeff kirschke is on a distinguished road

did you transfer the little weatherpack 4 or five pin adapter the ties the coil to the module. its easy to leave out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff kirschke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff kirschke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeff kirschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
M0nkeywrench
M0nkeywrench is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies! Fdryer, thanks for the tips. I tested the fuses that you referenced and I even switched around fuses of the same amperage that I knew were working just to make sure. The fuel system seems to be working fine, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but lots of pressure from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and I can hear the fuel pump engage when I turn the switch. But definitely not getting spark from the coils.

Waiter21, I'm pretty sure I didn't mess with ecm at all but I'll take a look at the ground wires and maybe even install secondary wires like you suggest.

Jeff, are you talking about the little rubber type thing around the pins on the icm? If so then yes I did transfer it to the new icm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M0nkeywrench's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M0nkeywrench reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M0nkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Fuel spraying out the test valve verifies the pump building pressure. However, injectors and spark haven't been verified. Injector operation (also verifies the EFI system is working) is checked by removing spark plugs and examining them for fuel. Several starting attempts (engine turns over) should have flooded the engine with raw fuel on plugs. Fuel detected on plugs means the ecm is operating since it controls injector pulses. Spark is tested in one of two ways.

Spraying starting fluid into throttle guarantees fuel but not spark. If spark is generated then the engine will fire up from starting fluid. The alternative spark test takes longer and is more tedious.

Your ignition system uses the icm embedded with the coil pack to generate spark. Testing for spark requires removing the icm/coil pack assembly and all spark plugs. Reconnect everything out in the open over the engine and run ground wires to each spark plug base to engine ground. Someone can turn the ignition switch to START as you observe for spark. Remove the fuel pump fuse to prevent fuel from being injected during spark tests.

Most problems are failure of spark or fuel while a serious problem may be lost compression or other major fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote