SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Acithium
Acithium is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Splice ECTS connector?

I replaced my ECTS and the connector. I spliced in the the new connector using standard butt splices (that's what it came with). The new connecter and sensor seems to have fixed my over heating issues (thanks to this forum), but I think she still runs a little hot.
Could the butt splices cause enough resistance to make a difference on the sensor reading?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Acithium's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Acithium reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Acithium is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Splice ECTS connector?

For best results the wires need to be directly twisted together and soldered & heat-shrunk. IIRC the resistance values used are fairly low so anything that adds resistance will hurt the gauge accuracy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Either add your car stats into your profile so its under your name or add it into your signature otherwise everyone plays twenty questions. Enter stats under the CP (control panel) tab.

If the cooling fan is worn out, it may seem to run but may not blow hard enough to push or pull airflow thru the two radiators - ac condenser coil and radiator. The best way to turn on the cooling fan for testing is either turning on ac (only if ac works) or a jumper wire across fan relay socket terminals 30 and 87 (use the relay pinouts as a guide). A dead ac system, no compressor operation, will not turn on the cooling fan. Last method is wiring the fan directly to the battery.

Butt splices are fine but like oil debates, a never ending debate continues. Butt splices relies on clean corrosion free bare copper wires and the correct butt connectors along with good mechanical crimping methods to ensure good electrical connections. For weather proofing, silicone on ends or shrink tubing. If in doubt, cut and solder wires together with shrink tubing (not electrical tape). Exposed wires eventually corrode from normal weathering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Acithium
Acithium is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Sounds good. I updated my vehicle profile. My cooling fan is in great condition as I had it replaced about a year a go. It cools the car fine when it kicks on (or I force it on with the a/c). I'll keep and eye on the gauge and see how it acts for the next few days.
Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Acithium's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Acithium reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Acithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You try butt splices and you will have problems so just do it right the first time, solder and heart shrink. That circuit is a microampere circuit and any corrosion and it fails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote